Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

S.EOhio bag limit

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
also have seen guys kill some huge bucks where no mineral,food plots or baiting were used.
So who knows,half the time all the marketing that goes in to all these products ,mineral and seed for plots, all the commercials to plug em..do they really work?
Never had any of this stuff back in the 70s and 80s and their were some pretty darn nice bucks getting killed back then every season.

ditto

reo

N.E. Ohio
deer tan.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Also have seen guys kill some huge bucks where no mineral,food plots or baiting were used.
So who knows,half the time all the marketing that goes in to all these products ,mineral and seed for plots, all the commercials to plug em..do they really work?
Never had any of this stuff back in the 70s and 80s and their were some pretty darn nice bucks getting killed back then every season.

Natural minerals in the ground have alot to do with antler growth.. Limestone... Who has a quarry near them? Ever notice that these areas produce nice bucks? Ive got two quarries near me, both these areas produce nice bucks.. So yes giant bucks can exist without putting out additional minerals or food sources. But it doesnt hurt to make their habitat better.. Also winter has alot to due with antler growth. Rough long winters put stress on a deer and drain him on nutrition. Come spring any nutrition he gets will first go to replenishing his body,then will go to horn growth. But in the end its age that really counts, so you have to learn to let them go to grow to their possible good blood lines or genetics. And at all costs stop shooting button bucks!!!!!!!! They are your future. Who knows what stud buck from possibly miles away came through your area and planted that seed that could enhance your herd for years to come with those special genetics... So I guess the quality of your deer herd is in your hands, well really your trigger finger...

I honestly think it is pretty tough to tell if putting out minerals and food plots has any affect on antler growth. Maybe in some areas of the country it can make a big difference, but I think around here there is enough natural minerals and food out there. I think providing it on your property does help keep the deer on it as they have 1 stop shopping.