Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

S.EOhio bag limit

Gordo

Athens County
I still gotta read the rest of this thread, but In terms of deer and other wildlife changing their behaviors in order to SURVIVE, I think it's obvious.

Once a deer knows a tree stand is in a certain location, they will skirt it. Now that's about as simple as it gets.

Simple at that level, but if you break down the mental process, it's pretty f'n complicated and has serious potential.

Let's talk dogs. I'm pretty damn sure people breed things 'in' and 'out' of dogs. Behaviors. Like I said, I'm no expert, but isn't this fact?

Now where talking change over generations and that carries over to all liveing things. In most cases it's for SURVIVAL.

Feel like I could talk myself in circles so I'll stick a fork in it here for now.

Good stuff

One more thing to add:

Smoke as a cover scent. How many deer are we going to have to kill or scare the shit out of before the reaction to the smell is 'danger'

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
The issue with this is "foresight" and "restraint". And "common sense". Three attributes not only largely absent in today's culture, but certainly rare within the hunting community. It comes back to this group being accused of being the 1% when it comes to these types of things. If they set the limit at 10 tags, plenty of guys will try and fill all 10, especially the ones with no vested interest in the future.

Good post/point. Its right on

Gordo

Athens County
Alright, I'm letting it rip with another thought.

I know On all the properties I hunt, it'd be more beneficial to harvest multiple bucks then it would be to harvest multiple does.

There's a lot of shit genetics out there that need to be eliminated for the greater good. Legally, I can not do that and still be able to hunt a genetically superior buck.

Looking at it like this, we as hunters are watering down the gene pool by never harvesting a buck with inferior genetics.

Just more to think about. IMO, In the big picture this has a HUGE effect on the 'quality' of the deer herd

***not a ground breaking thought; it's been brought up before******

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Alright, now I'm pipe dreaming, and this is 'In a perfect world' type stuff.

How about I come up with a plan every year for my property and then propose it to the governing body.

Sounds expensive......

Cheers

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Gordo, if you read studies on "culling bucks" it makes no sense to practice it. One might think he's doing the property good by taking out a genetically inferior buck but the fact is when that doe pops out a button buck he leaves the property anyway. Not that taking an older deer isn't a trophy, I just don't get the big push for culling bucks.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Gordo, if you read studies on "culling bucks" it makes no sense to practice it. One might think he's doing the property good by taking out a genetically inferior buck but the fact is when that doe pops out a button buck he leaves the property anyway. Not that taking an older deer isn't a trophy, I just don't get the big push for culling bucks.

Good point if your talking one piece of property. Greater good man! Everyone's mentality has gotta be greater good. Just gotta hope others follow suit.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good point if your talking one piece of property. Greater good man! Everyone's mentality has gotta be greater good. Just gotta hope others follow suit.
IMO the health of the does is more important than culling bucks. The does carry the fawns, and produce the milk.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
IMO the health of the does is more important than culling bucks. The does carry the fawns, and produce the milk.
Not only the health of the doe but also the genetic quality of the doe. Ask any deer farmer and they will tell you that the genetic quality of the doe is almost as important as the genetic quality of the buck. It's the same in humans, you can't take and Olympian and breed him with some decrepit woman and expect a better Olympian. People that talk about culling bucks to prune genetics rarely have a clue as to what they're talking about. The only practical application for this practice is within a high fence where you know and control the quality of your does and cull your retard bucks.

Gordo

Athens County
Hold on now dudes....

What has greater effect on the herd? Killing does or killing bucks?

I concede on the killing inferior bucks. I honestly didn't realize does held the key to a superior gene pool. I believe you guys and wherever your pulling your info.

That being said, would you rather have 2 does and 1 buck on your property; or, would you rather have 2 bucks and 1 doe.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hold on now dudes....

I concede on the killing inferior bucks. I honestly didn't realize does held the key to a superior gene pool. I believe you guys and wherever your pulling your info.

That being said, would you rather have 2 does and 1 buck on your property; or, would you rather have 2 bucks and 1 doe.
Not talking about killing does, more like maintaining the health of them. I'm no deer farmer though.

Hold on now dudes....

Does aren't superior to the gene pool. They do contribute 1/2 of it to a fawn though. It is impossible in a wild population to know what "rack" genes a doe possesses. It would also depend on how the genes cross with the buck that breeds her that year.

I do agree though that a healthy doe is more likely to produce a healthy fawn which is more likely to survive.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not only the health of the doe but also the genetic quality of the doe. Ask any deer farmer and they will tell you that the genetic quality of the doe is almost as important as the genetic quality of the buck. It's the same in humans, you can't take and Olympian and breed him with some decrepit woman and expect a better Olympian. People that talk about culling bucks to prune genetics rarely have a clue as to what they're talking about. The only practical application for this practice is within a high fence where you know and control the quality of your does and cull your retard bucks.

Exactly,A guy i know that used to raise deer always said the doe was 70% of the good genetics it took for producing great bucks.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Exactly,A guy i know that used to raise deer always said the doe was 70% of the good genetics it took for producing great bucks.

Did he know that for a fact or just think that? But then you did state he used to raise deer.
Just funny you- well sorta.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My thoughts are if it isn't high fence controlled there isn't much you can do to increase genics for the better.
My main thought is plant good year around food and supply mineral licks and the deer size will increase over time. It isn't going to happen over night or in one year like some of the sellers of these mineral products what you to believe. Maybe 3-5 yrs if you can wait that long.
IMHO anyway.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Also have seen guys kill some huge bucks where no mineral,food plots or baiting were used.
So who knows,half the time all the marketing that goes in to all these products ,mineral and seed for plots, all the commercials to plug em..do they really work?
Never had any of this stuff back in the 70s and 80s and their were some pretty darn nice bucks getting killed back then every season.