Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Lease.....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Um....I'd probably go shed hunting if'n all the ducks got lined up......just saying.....:smiley_coolpeace:

Well.....if all the ducks got lined up and Papa Duck wanted to go for a ride he'd definitely be welcome...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I bought my farm in 1991. Then all my 'want to be friends' started contacting me since I had a place for them to hunt. I put the word out it was immediate family only and still is that way. The 5 kids have a place to hunt but I'm the only die hard hunter.
Now with food plots put in and another one coming on I've got a deer hunters heaven and loving it for my final days.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I bought my farm in 1991. Then all my 'want to be friends' started contacting me since I had a place for them to hunt. I put the word out it was immediate family only and still is that way. The 5 kids have a place to hunt but I'm the only die hard hunter.
Now with food plots put in and another one coming on I've got a deer hunters heaven and loving it for my final days.
How'd your season go, Frank?!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hunted very little during bow season as had a lot of R&D work to do for the ammo company due to the election.
Took a doe and 9 pt buck with a 1" drop tine with the Marlin 45-70 and reloads. Gave both away to needy friends. But what the hell it only cost me $600 for food plot planting.
Having a blast in my remaining years. More deer now since the food plots are in than in the other years.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hunted very little during bow season as had a lot of R&D work to do for the ammo company due to the election.
Took a doe and 9 pt buck with a 1" drop tine with the Marlin 45-70 and reloads. Gave both away to needy friends. But what the hell it only cost me $600 for food plot planting.
Having a blast in my remaining years. More deer now since the food plots are in than in the other years.
Let's see the deer! Congrats btw!

killbucks22

nw ohio
Not sure what others here think about hunting public land in southern Ohio, but for $3000, I think I'd rather stay in a cheap motel/hotel for that price and hunt public ground! There's a thousands of acres of public ground and there's no way all of it is being hunted!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure what others here think about hunting public land in southern Ohio, but for $3000, I think I'd rather stay in a cheap motel/hotel for that price and hunt public ground! There's a thousands of acres of public ground and there's no way all of it is being hunted!
Amen! For $3000 you could stay in parks and hotels for a long ass time down there. I'd much rather do that and explore my own territory than pay 3 grand to sit on a sub-200 acre lease.

killbucks22

nw ohio
I don't live in southern Ohio but the few times I've hunted public ground I had no issues with other hunters during bow season! I honestly think people have a negative opinion on public land for no reason and don't really know how much they get hunted! I've seen some trail cam pics of some dandy bucks on public ground from a buddy of mine that I think all of us would shoot...that being said it's a shame this hobby /sport has turned into a just a big money game, from leasing land all the way down to scent less bubble gum!

Gordo

Athens County
Nothing wrong with helping landowners out.
It may be doing things for,with, or about them, also paying them money, either way it's all about what one feels is right in their minds.
I know some frowns on leasing, but with time avialability and doing family time some of us don't have the time too spend doing chores and favors.
So with all that it leaves the money issues, and some land owners had rather have money for taxes or the extra income. Me having some land here at home and the taxes we enjoy the farm lease money for tax payment.
So to each his own as far as how we do it, either with time or money.
look at the time you spend doing for the landowners and times that with what you would have made at work plus overtime and see what it comes out to be.
For me I.m better off with giving them money. sorry for the long post.

I hear you 100%. Everyone's situation is different once you start crunching numbers

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had to dig back for it but I found it. Congrats again Frank.

33230.jpeg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrats Frank! Glad to see you enjoyed your season. Equally glad to see you back with us. Stick around, we are all goofy but we mean well! :smiley_coolpeace:

Nice buck, Frank.

If a guy wants land to hunt I contend buying is the only way to secure a spot. Most guys just seem to think they need a large tract, so cost is a huge issue. Most of us can't afford to go out and purchase 200 acres. But, a small plot, in the right place can work and be affordable.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nice buck, Frank.

If a guy wants land to hunt I contend buying is the only way to secure a spot. Most guys just seem to think they need a large tract, so cost is a huge issue. Most of us can't afford to go out and purchase 200 acres. But, a small plot, in the right place can work and be affordable.
Only takes a few acres in the right spot.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Only takes a few acres in the right spot.

Exactly correct. My 3 ac food plot next to my woods adjoins a 110 ac horse hay baling operation farm. We have a lot of brushy areas and gullies for deer hangouts. My food plot draws the deer off these adjoining lands.
For 22 yrs I never seen over 3 deer in a group on my farm now I see 5-6 in a group plus up to 16 feeding in the food plot.Putting in a new food plot on the west side of the farm this year. Started last year when I pushed over all the 20 ft cedar trees, now just need to move them into a pile and plant. Plus side it's only 100 yds from the house through a over grown pasture with thick cover.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice buck, Frank.

Absolutely! I'm very fond of saying "You don't need 200 acres, just the right 20."