Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Management Stakeholder Organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For starters, Brent, thank you for taking the time to address the questions presented to you. Like Milo said, in this crowd and within the growing majority of hunters, trust in the DNR is minimal, so being aligned with them places you in a tough spot. That said, assholes like antiquecycle are dime a dozen on the internet and I'm sure you get that. Ignoring him will make good practice because if you expect to engage hunters via social media (and not moderator them like your name is Kim Jong-un) you'll have more than a few comments like that to wade through.

I have several questions for you, but I'm holding them until we see how this starts to play out. In the mean time, if you need anything from Joe or I, please let us know. As you can tell, the masses are glad you are here and will do their part to keep the dogs at bay.

Enjoy your Sunday all.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A final note to Brent regarding your experience going against the grain: You'll find more than enough ammo here if this proves to be another smoke and mirrors show. If we get 6 months down the road and this is all show, expect an extremely vocal crowd here and we will dig up that post...

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Ok, ok, ok. It was said before, but this has Mike Rex written all over it. I can see it just in the term "stakeholder". Mike is a HUGE advocate for the landowner. He has expressed the opinion before that he who owns/controls the most land should have the loudest voice at the table.

I mostly agree with Joe and Jesse. This is just more red tape and BS for the masses to not be able to process and see through.

However, as stated, this is a far cry from where we were in 2008 when it was just Tonk lying to us about the population and telling us that hunters didn't know there was an abundant acorn crop. It's better than nothing. However, it likely isn't going to get us to where we all want to be, a thriving and healthy deer herd here in Ohio that hunters in every region have access to.

As for Brent, I've met the man and shook his hand. I've enjoyed talking with him and recognized that he is a true sportsman in every sense of the word. I never got the impression that he would be one to be easily influenced by others, and seems the kind of man that would be fair and impartial.

One thing that continues to become more and more clear, we're not going back. We'll never have the deer population that Ohio had from 1999-2008, at least not for the northern 2/3 of the state. That ship has sailed.

The biggest thing that I'd like to see this new "stakeholder" group, is to iron out access for hunters. Open areas where there are deer and allow hunters in. Otherwise, deer hunting in Ohio continues to go the route of "haves" and "have nots". In other words, big money lease operations getting more and more money while the poor guy gets discouraged, loses interest and moves on. A simple example is the state park nearest where I live. Easily 25% is off limits to deer hunting for no good reason. That's just one example. There is a lot of ground that could be opened up to deer hunting or at least archery hunting for deer and it isn't. It's maddening. If the DOW were to ever truly show they care at all about hunters they would get very active on this front. Otherwise, it's just more BS to get higher lease fees for the farmers. Afterall, everyone knows the Former Dept of Ag is the head of the ODNR. The term conservation hasn't been associated with the DOW for a long time. To me, that is what is truly sad.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Agreed cg2. I know I won't accept any data from them until they recognize that many, many deer vehicle collisions happen in areas that don't have hunting opportunity. No different than the coyote population preying on suburb pets. An unlimited bag limit won't do a dam bit of good if you can't get after them. This wipe out one area to accommodate an uncontrolled area is so bureaucratic of them. At some point they are going to have to stand up to one group on either side of the issue so I hope they have their big boy pants on.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ok, ok, ok. It was said before, but this has Mike Rex written all over it. I can see it just in the term "stakeholder". Mike is a HUGE advocate for the landowner. He has expressed the opinion before that he who owns/controls the most land should have the loudest voice at the table.

I mostly agree with Joe and Jesse. This is just more red tape and BS for the masses to not be able to process and see through.

However, as stated, this is a far cry from where we were in 2008 when it was just Tonk lying to us about the population and telling us that hunters didn't know there was an abundant acorn crop. It's better than nothing. However, it likely isn't going to get us to where we all want to be, a thriving and healthy deer herd here in Ohio that hunters in every region have access to.

As for Brent, I've met the man and shook his hand. I've enjoyed talking with him and recognized that he is a true sportsman in every sense of the word. I never got the impression that he would be one to be easily influenced by others, and seems the kind of man that would be fair and impartial.

One thing that continues to become more and more clear, we're not going back. We'll never have the deer population that Ohio had from 1999-2008, at least not for the northern 2/3 of the state. That ship has sailed.

The biggest thing that I'd like to see this new "stakeholder" group, is to iron out access for hunters. Open areas where there are deer and allow hunters in. Otherwise, deer hunting in Ohio continues to go the route of "haves" and "have nots". In other words, big money lease operations getting more and more money while the poor guy gets discouraged, loses interest and moves on. A simple example is the state park nearest where I live. Easily 25% is off limits to deer hunting for no good reason. That's just one example. There is a lot of ground that could be opened up to deer hunting or at least archery hunting for deer and it isn't. It's maddening. If the DOW were to ever truly show they care at all about hunters they would get very active on this front. Otherwise, it's just more BS to get higher lease fees for the farmers. Afterall, everyone knows the Former Dept of Ag is the head of the ODNR. The term conservation hasn't been associated with the DOW for a long time. To me, that is what is truly sad.

Where the like button! Great post!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is what the city of Clifton is doing. Pretty amazing what some animal lovers will spend to just keep hunters out of the equation. So far they've spent 60K the last two years.......SMDH

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/01/31/deer-sterilization-thin-local-herd/97088258/

Let's see, they love to watch deer and have them live amongst them so they're willing to pay a ton of money to sterilize all the does. I'm no scientist but after all the deer die of old age,disease,collisions and other natural causes won't they eventually all die off if they don't reproduce?!?! :smiley_chinrub:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
This is what the city of Clifton is doing. Pretty amazing what some animal lovers will spend to just keep hunters out of the equation. So far they've spent 60K the last two years.......SMDH

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/01/31/deer-sterilization-thin-local-herd/97088258/

Let's see, they love to watch deer and have them live amongst them so they're willing to pay a ton of money to sterilize all the does. I'm no scientist but after all the deer die of old age,disease,collisions and other natural causes won't they eventually all die off if they don't reproduce?!?! :smiley_chinrub:

Dumbasses

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

I just seen a story in the past couple days where a doe that had hysterectomy died a couple days after the procedure was done. I can't remember if she was from this project or another city trying the same thing.

Bigcountry40

I just seen a story in the past couple days where a doe that had hysterectomy died a couple days after the procedure was done. I can't remember if she was from this project or another city trying the same thing.

It was in the Cincy area, if I remember correctly

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just over from OS to watch the fireworks. This might be too good to miss.

Glad to have you. You will notice one major difference here. It is member moderated. No censorship here. No dictatorship. I hope you find yourself enjoying the place. If you are simply here to watch fireworks, I'm not sure why you posted. If you are here to throw fuel on any fires, I am not sure how well that will fly. Just shooting straight with you. Make yourself at home though. I'm not trying to sound negative or make you feel unwelcome. Honestly hope you stick around.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Glad to have you. You will notice one major difference here. It is member moderated. No censorship here. No dictatorship. I hope you find yourself enjoying the place. If you are simply here to watch fireworks, I'm not sure why you posted. If you are here to throw fuel on any fires, I am not sure how well that will fly. Just shooting straight with you. Make yourself at home though. I'm not trying to sound negative or make you feel unwelcome. Honestly hope you stick around.
X2, well said Phil.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
X2, well said Phil.
It's a tightrope of words I was walking. I don't want to speak for everyone. I don't want to turn people off or make them feel unwelcome. Our site owners are pretty hands off unless necessary. Didn't want anyone to get sensitive if another member posted something that is direct. Not singling out Tuco. I'm sure the are others who read but never post. It's just PSA so the owners can sleep in. Lol

Thanks Chad.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It's a tightrope of words I was walking. I don't want to speak for everyone. I don't want to turn people off or make them feel unwelcome. Our site owners are pretty hands off unless necessary. Didn't want anyone to get sensitive if another member posted something that is direct. Not singling out Tuco. I'm sure the are others who read but never post. It's just PSA so the owners can sleep in. Lol

Thanks Chad.
I think most if not all are on the same page.

Tuco

Thanks for the welcome, I know I'm the FNG and will TRY to tread lightly till I get my feet wet. IMO you have given a newbie sound advice.

Already like it better, you can't even say shit or fuck over there, even had "WTF" blocked!

Also, I have found a home in the "nothing about nothing" thread, not much humor on the 'other' site.

Look forward to the conversation regarding this threads topic, I am optimistic. Hope I can be an asset.

Corey? Or are you the guy that was asking about "the other place" this morning?

Neither, Have done 5+ years but it feels more like 5 - 1 year stints since every year repeats itself, just rehashing the same bullshit and the same stupid questions ( I.E. "whats the best scope for X-gun? or anyone know when to hunt the rut? ect."). Also 'bout had enough of a couple of idiots which I know you know who I'm talking about, they have driven out most of the older, wiser voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.