Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite foot hold sets

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've caught 3 yotes at this set this year. The circle is where the trap is and I used a piece of rebar to make 2 small mouse like holes about 6 inches deep in the corner. I put Weiser's horse meat lure on some sheep wool and push it to the bottom of the hole then cover the set with a lot of yote urine. This spot has been hot this year

Squirt the piss all over the logs?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I cover the entire set with it. I talked to Andy Weiser at the national convention a few years ago about how much urine he uses at sets and he convinced me I wasn't using enough, since then my catches have really increased
Might have to give that a shot

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Something I used to do Chad: Get a piece of 3/4" metal conduit (Or equivalent) about 15" long. Drive it into the ground 4-5" to make your holes. Once away from the set, use a trap stake to push the dirt out of the pipe. The hole itself is an attractant so don't cover them with your final grass/weed blend-in.

On the Urine tip: Just get a gallon if possible. "Use it like it's free" is what Chappy would say. Its usually cheaper the more you buy.

Last edited:

oakswamper

around Toledo
Something I used to do Chad: Get a piece of 3/4" metal conduit (Or equivalent) about 15" long. Drive it into the ground 4-5" to make your holes. Once away from the set, use a trap stake to push the dirt out of the pipe. The hole itself is an attractant so don't cover them with your final grass/weed blend-in.

On the Urine tip: Just get a gallon if possible. "Use it like it's free" is what Chappy would say. Its usually cheaper the more you buy.

I paid $40 a gallon at the convention in Kalamazoo this year. I try to get everything I need at the convention so I don't have to pay shipping but I did end up ordering more urine this year. Quality urine is a must IMO

Diablo54

Outside
Been rooting for you chad. It will happen soon. I put some sets out Sunday.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks Taylor. I've about had it with these fuggin things. Yesterday I checked those 2 sets in that I put in the other day. The flat set trap was sprung but still in the bed, so I remade it. Today I checked them and the flat set trap was sprung and all the way out of the bed as far as the chain would allow it to go. We got rain yesterday so I don't know if that made the trap bed sloppy enough to cause the trap to move when stepped on or not. I'd like to think it isn't my scent because I wear 2 different pairs of gloves, and I only bait and lure the sets after the traps are bedded. Could of been a coon also, idk. But at this point I'm just getting pissed. I'll keep on keepin on though.

oakswamper

around Toledo
My nephew used the set above, this is his second yote at this set. He checks traps before he goes to school so he text me at 6 in the morning to make sure I'm up lol. He's gonna have fun getting all that clay out of that fur

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My nephew used the set above, this is his second yote at this set. He checks traps before he goes to school so he text me at 6 in the morning to make sure I'm up lol. He's gonna have fun getting all that clay out of that fur

Congrats to your nephew! That's a muddy one!