Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Neighbors- doe slaying

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes, no rules per se. However we talked frequently, agree not to shoot does, have similar standards on bucks and talk habitat improvement. Very informal "agreement", essentially a hand shake agreement to practice QDM...

Yes, no rules per se. However we talked frequently, agree not to shoot does, have similar standards on bucks and talk habitat improvement. Very informal "agreement", essentially a hand shake agreement to practice QDM...

Ok. Just was curious if there was any hard and fast rules. I know some people that have formed ones with hard and fast rules with their neighbors. Seems like most of the time neighbors have different goals in mind. I know around me in PA that it probably wouldn't get off the ground. Also with me having 3 kids hunting, we aren't following QDM per say as with the kids any legal deer is on the table if they wish to harvest. Only thing we do is once the freezer is filled then the doe hunting gets cut off.

nis1

I have had very consistent problems over the years with hunting with and around people that have opposing ideas and methods to what I have. I imagine many people deal with the same thing.

I have been passing does on my main property for the last 5 years because the numbers have been down. What do ya know, the land owner has two friends that decided to pick up hunting and have been shooting at everything they see. Luckily, they suck and have only managed to kill a button and a doe so far this year.

Bigcountry40

The property I hunt in Tusc County that my buddy owns, he talks big game about limiting the does we harvest with the neighbors, than turns around and fills every available tag, but will get mad at neighbors for minor minor things. I guess the point of this post, is be careful of some your neighbors maybe lying or not practicing what they preach.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
The property I hunt in Tusc County that my buddy owns, he talks big game about limiting the does we harvest with the neighbors, than turns around and fills every available tag, but will get mad at neighbors for minor minor things. I guess the point of this post, is be careful of some your neighbors maybe lying or not practicing what they preach.

Jon, if I am reading this right its not the neighbors but the landowner who is being hypocritical. Like it or not, this is what I am calling to the forefront. We all want more deer, some feel they can and/or will make a difference by their own actions and some believe given the demographics of Ohio this is best left up to the governing agency. It is clear that deer hunters as a whole are not aligned when landowners who manage and hunt their own land, allow others to hunt their land or try to persuade their neigboring landowners (neighbors) do not even follow what they preach. How is it ok to say I wont kill any does on my land but will travel to another part of the state and not hesitate to fill a tag? This is where I scratch my head and wonder how we as a collective group shouldnt be holding the agency responsible instead of thinking its OK to grow "our own little pocket". At the end of the day, its all the little pockets that make up what the agency is governing, no?

Last edited:

reo

N.E. Ohio
Jon, if I am reading this right its not the neighbors but the landowner who is being hypocritical. Like it or not, this is what I am calling to the forefront. We all want more deer, some feel they can will make a difference by their own actions and some believe given the demographics of Ohio this is best left up to the governing agency. It is clear that deer hunters as a whole are not aligned when landowners who manage and hunt their own land, allow others to hunt their land or try to persuade their neigboring landowners (neighbors) do not even follow what they preach. How is it ok to say I wont kill any does on my land but will travel to another part of the state and not hesitate to fill a tag? This is where I scratch my head and wonder how we as a collective group shouldnt be holding the agency responsible instead of thinking its OK to grow "our own little pocket". At the end of the day, its all the little pockets that make up what the agency is governing, no?

I call this "yard shitting". As in I don't want that shit in my yard but think shitting in someone else's yard is OK.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I call this "yard shitting". As in I don't want that shit in my yard but think shitting in someone else's yard is OK.

Agreed, and there are a few other philosophical study names about this same premise. If we are going to draw a line in the sand, then we either have a collective voice to remove it or you don't cross the line without ridicule. You cannot have your cake and eat it to. With respect to the OP, I wish you luck in working with your neighbors to establish some "guidelines". In the end, you are just a small portion of the county and deer from properties beyond your control will pass thru regardless of the guidelines. These "rogue" deer will continue to skew your perception and while you may feel good about what you are doing, the collective whole is still being impacted.

Go hunt for meat, for a wall hanger, for social media bliss. In the end, I hope you will join the larger, collective voice that speaks for all reasons why hunting exists.

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

Yeah my buddy is a huge hypocrite, he's 70 basically speaks out of both sides of his mouth 99% of time, he's good to me and basically allows me unlimited access to anything on his property, but this was earned by sweat equity. There is a group of Akron boys that come down and hunt the property next to us and do similar to what Al's situation is. Mid 2000's every sit on his property I would see average of 6 deer on a bad day, this was with limited to time to hunt due to my football career. They slaughtered deer during gun for like 5 or 6 year straight like a fellow member echoed about his dad. My buddy blames the disappearance on coyotes. But you can't tell my buddy nothing and your certainly not going to explain anything to the "Akron Gang"