Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bears for Deer

wv67

I've only had one sit and look up at me while talking to him trying to get him to leave he had me a little worried to what I' was gonna do if he climbed up but he finally walked off , a buddy of mine had one climb about half way up to him it was around 200-250 and was on the back side of the tree LOL. Funny now but he was scared I could hear him yelling it climbed down ate his apples and left he had his pistol so it would of been ok I guess never know , but I always told him and others don't use apples , pears no buck jam products nothing sweet smelling they will be there fast it's hard enough just to use corn for the youths with out bears coming in and ruining things

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks Giles pretty neat stuff , That's why I always carry a pistol

In Jersey no handgun allowed... In fact pepper spray is illegal to carry. So gotta hope you don't run into a yogi with a hair up his arse. This year I took a load of donuts in dropped them off and changed card in camera. On the way out who do I bump into coming my way basically the same way I just walked in. Yup about a 300 lber... Now my back pack smells like a Dunkin Donut shop, so I'm sure he was focusing on those boston crème donuts.. LOL Last year I'm kneeling down changing the card in the camera and get that sense something is watching me.. Turn around and there's Yogi about 10 yds. away... Got to respect them...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looking through some of this years pic's (I had over a 1000 pics in a month) heres a neat one with mom and junior having a chat over the last donut.

Heres another Big Bear... Head on this bear is huge...

Some people have looked at these pics and said that bear is so big it couldn't run or climb.... YEH...OK..

wv67

Man that ones fat LOL. I wouldn't wanna see if he can climb or run unless it's away from me LOL

trebor69

Amherst
As for the stink...that's a boars way of treating you like another boar. He thinks he can kick your ass and is trying to tell you that by pissing a nasty smelling piss.

THINKS? hahaha

all in all they are pretty harmless....in the last few years hunting in WV Ive been within 20 yards of several....all of them while walking to or from my deer/turkey stand. Turkey hunting I dont worry as much cuz I figger a 3 inch turkey load is capable of adjusting their attitude if need be lol.... bowhunting for deer and only having a bow in my hand is another story....introduce carry permit haha. All that said every single time Ive ran into one they hauled ass as soon as they knew I was there.

Another short story...
I lost my hunting knife somewhere between my stand and the truck coming out one Saturday evening after dark.
So dad and I went for a walk on Sunday to see if we could find it.
About half way to my stand I hear a commotion higher up the mountain.
Straining my eyes and ears to find out what it was I start catching glimpses of black coming at us reallly fast.
It was bear....it popped out into the logging road about 20 feet from us....stopped and glanced our way....they ran down the mountain blazing its own trail.
-Me- whew I didnt know if he was coming for us or just happened to be running in our direction
-Dad- yah I know what you mean serious pucker factor! There was no point in running though cuz youre never going to outrun a bear.
-Me- I dont have to outrun the bear....I just gotta outrun YOU! lol