Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you support a state focused "deer hunters only" organization?

Would you support a deer hunters coalition here in Ohio?

• I'm in!

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Pound salt nerd...

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Tell me more...

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

Gordo

Athens County
Sounds like an adventure that will require heavily on the 'numbers'.

I say that because that is what it's going to take to convince people(show them the light) that there is a problem or an issue that needs addressed. Most importantly a trend that is going to impact the future in a negative way.

Once you do that, you still need people to give a shit enough to care.

I said something the other day to the effect of "who cares about our old asses, let's make sure that everyone's kids, kids, kids have it at least as good as we have, or BETTER."

Rally for the future

Gordo

Athens County
I don't even have kids, but I'll run through a wall for one.

Most folks have that mentality. Comes along with being a human

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I can say that I wouldn't be for reducing tags. As it is I can shoot 3 deer. I wouldn't want to see this reduced. It has just been reduced from 3 to 2 does in my area. Most of the people in my area don't shoot 2 does anyway but I like to because I love the meat. And the heard in our area can handle the number of does that are being killed.
So, Like the ODNR you will have to make people from all over the state happy. It will differ a lot by area. I cant see it being an easy thing to do.
I wish you guys luck with this as I think it could be a good thing.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I think most can get behind the general concept, but the devil is in the detail. If we really want the population to rebound less deer have to be harvested. How will this be accomplished? Most will say reductions of bag limits won't be enough because the average hunter only harvests one deer. Well then reduce opportunity. So....shorter bow season? Less gun days? Buck only? I see many people pointing their finger at other sub groups. Can hunters truly come together and do what's best for Ohio's whitetail deer or will they only be interested in what's best for themselves?

reo

N.E. Ohio
I think most can get behind the general concept, but the devil is in the detail. If we really want the population to rebound less deer have to be harvested. How will this be accomplished? Most will say reductions of bag limits won't be enough because the average hunter only harvests one deer. Well then reduce opportunity. So....shorter bow season? Less gun days? Buck only? I see many people pointing their finger at other sub groups. Can hunters truly come together and do what's best for Ohio's whitetail deer or will they only be interested in what's best for themselves?

I would be for all of the above. BUT educating the masses must come first as a unified (as possible) voice must be used to have any effect on current policy

Bigcountry40

This will piss off a few good people, but I would like to see the group be for Ohio residents hunters only, my personal agenda is to turn Ohio into Iowa style deer hunting paradise that takes care of its state residents first and non residents second. And have Ohio stop being the cheap whore of the mid west when it comes to deer hunting.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The problem I see that we will be battling is, that everyone is on board with this thing going forward, as long as it doesn't affect their situation since they're not seeing an issue.... Yet.....

We as deer hunters shoot our selves in the proverbial foot constantly because we want our slice of pie and will do what it takes too get it....

Bigcountry40

The problem I see that we will be battling is, that everyone is on board with this thing going forward, as long as it doesn't affect their situation since they're not seeing an issue.... Yet.....

We as deer hunters shoot our selves in the proverbial foot constantly because we want our slice of pie and will do what it takes too get it....

Sort of like how people want to balance the budget and bitch about it, but they don't want to give up their government program!lol

Gordo

Athens County
Most of motivation for this is the future. It's for K and Kenna. It's the next generation I'm most worried about.

Yes!

It goes without saying that the purpose of this group will be just that, but to get people on board and get their full support, It's a great thing to really hammer home

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Perhaps this could evolve into an organization that rallies for ALL game animals in Ohio. I could get behind that. If it's really "for the kids" and the future of hunting, you really need to take a look at small game hunting in Ohio. At the rate of today's habitat destruction in most of Ohio's farm country, there won't be any rabbits or game birds left for our children or our children's children. Hell, the state has already been discussing the elimination of the Pheasant Release program! I totally understand that we're very passionate about deer and deer hunting is the proverbial "cash cow," but think about it... How many of us deer hunters didn't start our hunting careers on deer? Small game it was!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
No promises on this, but there is some interest in creating a deer hunters coalition to represent the collective voice of Ohio's deer hunter. Think the Ducks Unlimited or Pheasants Forever, but built around Ohio's deer hunters. The goal of the organization would be to collect and analyze "real" data and use it to fight a strategic, respectful battle against the factors hurting our hunting experience. We would be creating an organization that would demand a seat at the table when it comes to regulatory and management policies impacting deer. We would also place an emphasis on "hunter management" and would create educational initiatives to teach Ohio hunters "restraint". There's much more to the idea and we can share more on down the road, but this gives you a rough overview.

If this takes off, TOO will be central to it's success. I/We would be coming back to you all in the future to seek support through donations, spreading the message and showing up to support the organization at events and meetings.

We would appreciate your thoughts on this as we continue to evaluate this endeavor.

Thanks all!
I would be in and willing to help out with the data mining. It's what I do for a living and would be nice to use it for the good of future generations if hunting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Perhaps this could evolve into an organization that rallies for ALL game animals in Ohio. I could get behind that. If it's really "for the kids" and the future of hunting, you really need to take a look at small game hunting in Ohio. At the rate of today's habitat destruction in most of Ohio's farm country, there won't be any rabbits or game birds left for our children or our children's children. Hell, the state has already been discussing the elimination of the Pheasant Release program! I totally understand that we're very passionate about deer and deer hunting is the proverbial "cash cow," but think about it... How many of us deer hunters didn't start our hunting careers on deer? Small game it was!
Those organizations exist on a national level and most have state chapters. And I don't think anyone here is worried about a lack of squirrels.

Many of the initiatives of this group will have subsequent benefits for other animals. We don't need to muddy the waters and spread resources thin, we need a collective voice for just deer hunters. Plenty of other organizations out there carrying the torch for the duck, pheasant and turkey hunters.