Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where To Send Letter For ODNR?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks Sean, but wasnt askkng for you to speak for him. Just curious if there were any insights to whether this was at the state level only or if this logic can be applied to the national and international levels. No doubt a well organized group can make a difference as one voice. I find it hypocritical to bitch on forums and social media but dont try for a collective approach or do more than sit behind a keyboard.
I'll send in my bow hunter survey, Adam;)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I find it hypocritical to bitch on forums and social media but dont try for a collective approach or do more than sit behind a keyboard.

There plenty of organizations that proclaim they're the voice for hunters, I've not seen a single one of them take the DNR to task on the population reduction issue in ohio. The reality is these orgs will never bite the hand that feeds them as they need that partnership with the state game commission.

You might think "bitching" on the internet or on Facebook serves little purpose. However I remember a time about 8 years ago when a couple of good ole boys said there was a population problem brewing and 99% of people laughed. I remember people arguing tooth and nail that they saw the most deer ever, the DNR was doing a fantastic job, they would never do such a thing, and how we were crazy. They argued the problem was weather, lack of food, and blamed it on people's lack of hunting skills. They bought the DNRs bullshit and stood behind them. Slowly they began to see the problem in their areas too.

Today those people are a very small minority. It only takes one glance at the DNRs facebook page to see the vast majority of hunters are pissed off. They no longer buy the DNRs crap about weather, acorns, or whatever other sorry excuses the DNR used. Instead I see people correctly blaming the DNR for bowing to farm and insurance lobbyist. They're mad, they're vocal, but they're not yet organized.

Someone will look to cash in on that anger, someone will look to organize that voice. That's the way it always happens. It far easier to jump in and capitalize on a movement, than it is to create one and build supporters. Happens with every grass roots movement, eventually some organization picks up the torch simply because that's a lot of people.

Never underestimate the power of public media. I said a long time ago that people wouldn't wake up in time to stop the bleeding or prevent the decimation. I said all along the DNR will accomplish their goal. My goal was to be vocal so that when they finally did wake up and got mad; they knew exactly who to lynch for it. And it looks like they know exactly who to blame. A few of them still blame coyotes for part of the decline, they're not entirely wrong, but they also blame the DNR for not factoring that in.

What I see buddy is a very large contingency of informed pissed off hunters. Despite the DNRs best effort to mislead hunters via news print, radio interviews, online articles, and meetings the people are seeing through it and pointing the finger squarely at those to blame. Thanks to online social media and forums hunters have the ability to collaborate, share ideas, read information and put some logic behind what they're seeing with their own eyes. If they didn't have that the only thing they would know is Tonk stating in the Columbus dispatch that the roadkilld squirrel count was down thus deer are down too.

Bitching is collaboration, bitching is the truest form of individual expression to find common logic. Bitching starts movements.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
There plenty of organizations that proclaim they're the voice for hunters, I've not seen a single one of them take the DNR to task on the population reduction issue in ohio. The reality is these orgs will never bite the hand that feeds them as they need that partnership with the state game commission.

You might think "bitching" on the internet or on Facebook serves little purpose. However I remember a time about 8 years ago when a couple of good ole boys said there was a population problem brewing and 99% of people laughed. I remember people arguing tooth and nail that they saw the most deer ever, the DNR was doing a fantastic job, they would never do such a thing, and how we were crazy. They argued the problem was weather, lack of food, and blamed it on people's lack of hunting skills. They bought the DNRs bullshit and stood behind them. Slowly they began to see the problem in their areas too.

Today those people are a very small minority. It only takes one glance at the DNRs facebook page to see the vast majority of hunters are pissed off. They no longer buy the DNRs crap about weather, acorns, or whatever other sorry excuses the DNR used. Instead I see people correctly blaming the DNR for bowing to farm and insurance lobbyist. They're mad, they're vocal, but they're not yet organized.

Someone will look to cash in on that anger, someone will look to organize that voice. That's the way it always happens. It far easier to jump in and capitalize on a movement, than it is to create one and build supporters. Happens with every grass roots movement, eventually some organization picks up the torch simply because that's a lot of people.

Never underestimate the power of public media. I said a long time ago that people wouldn't wake up in time to stop the bleeding or prevent the decimation. I said all along the DNR will accomplish their goal. My goal was to be vocal so that when they finally did wake up and got mad; they knew exactly who to lynch for it. And it looks like they know exactly who to blame. A few of them still blame coyotes for part of the decline, they're not entirely wrong, but they also blame the DNR for not factoring that in.

What I see buddy is a very large contingency of informed pissed off hunters. Despite the DNRs best effort to mislead hunters via news print, radio interviews, online articles, and meetings the people are seeing through it and pointing the finger squarely at those to blame. Thanks to online social media and forums hunters have the ability to collaborate, share ideas, read information and put some logic behind what they're seeing with their own eyes. If they didn't have that the only thing they would know is Tonk stating in the Columbus dispatch that the roadkilld squirrel count was down thus deer are down too.

Bitching is collaboration, bitching is the truest form of individual expression to find common logic. Bitching starts movements.

Lol, I think we all just learned the impact of public media. Its the change in cost to share information that i often overlook.

Hope the movement can change the goal.

reo

N.E. Ohio

Very, VERY well put!!

I cannot wait for someone to cash in on the anger! I would gladly pay to help an oganization capitalize on it and truly be the voice of deer hunters, especially Ohio deer hunters.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lol, I think we all just learned the impact of public media. Its the change in cost to share information that i often overlook.

Hope the movement can change the goal.

I think it can. Today is reality, however the numbers will naturally rise when people stop hunting or people take it upon themselves to stop shooting does in areas that need more deer. The hope is before that happens hunters take the ODNR to task with such a backlash they think twice about ever doing it again.

The reality is I think the real population rise will come from leasing. It's only natural that when things get bad people will act to protect or preserve their slice. In the hunting world this means leasing to control property and manage it how they see fit. We can already see that train rolling.