Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boom! Iks

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not one for suspense because I get too excited, so here it is... Kody caught himself a 12 point. Love the sticker off the left G2.

It was a long ass night! Kody and I sat down at 3:45 after we got out of school/work. Around 4:15 I saw kody scrambling for his gun that was leaning against the tree he was sitting next to. The way I was positioned behind him, I could see the thickets to our left and right, but not the opening in front of us.

As he was trying to get his gun I heard him whisper "buck".

Then I saw it and only said one word... "focus".

We were perched up on a high bank that acted as a tree stand and there were two flats in front of us. Of course, this buck was on the lower flat pretty far off.

He got the 12 guage 1100 on the shooting stick and waited for the buck to stop in the opening, but he never did. I was afraid to try and stop him because my angle and view was slightly different. Wasn't sure what kody could see so I just trusted him to make the right call on the shot.

As the buck left the opening he finally stopped right before the thicket to our left. Kody let one fly at about 75 yards. The buck tucked his tail and bolted over the hill toward the creek bottom.

We waited a little bit and then went down to look for blood. All we found was a long strip of white hair, almost like the stripe on a skunk. As soon as I saw that I told him we needed to back out and give this buck lots of time. I hung around that spot for awhile looking for blood but never did find any in the wet leaves.

So, we backed out and decided to just wait til morning. The gameplay this morning was to have my dad and kody sit where we did last night and I would go to the head of the hollow and walk toward them in case he was still in there alive.

The landowner and his son (neither hunt), threw their orange on and helped me push/look.

We were within 100 yards of kody when I heard one of them yell to me "here he is".

Just as we thought last night, he was dead by the creek. The coyotes had gotten to him though. I gutted him out anyway just in hopes of some of the meat being salvageable. He was still warm so he couldn't have been dead too long. Had we not backed out we never would've found him.

This is a great harvest for kody. He's a had a rough couple of seasons where it was to the point I thought he was going to give up. This has relit the fire!

So, this 12 point will be heading to the taxidermist.