Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Busted Tines every time

Qback5

Nearly every buck ive seen where I primarily hunt since 2010 has busted tines. I haven't run a trail cam in a few years since they got stolen, but same story then. Think it's something genetic? They get a very well-diversified diet (always bean, corn, wheat, and annual cover crops) Could it just be a biased sample? Ages of bucks with busted tines have ranged from 1.5 to 5.5 years. Thoughts on why this happens so frequently here? More so I think than other places I have hunted.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you bow hunt much or primarily gun hunt? By this time of the year there has been plenty of fighting. I like the theory on even ratio or lower number of does creating more competition/fighting.

Qback5

Good thoughts...I do both...have harvested bucks both. Come to think of it, I tagged out opening day of bow last year and no busted tines.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I have more does than bucks. We have taken several bucks over the past three seasons including this season. There is a big doe I need to shoot but not sure if we should take any others. I like having lots of mamas out there

Last edited:

jlane

dunn nc
Good buck to doe ratio = lots of fighting, also means bucks on your property will venture off.
We have way more bucks than does(lots of very young bucks) several has only one side or broken tines THUMB_102EK113-EK000921.JPGTHUMB_102EK113-EK000617.JPGTHUMB_102EK113-EK000630.JPGTHUMB_102EK113-EK000624.JPGTHUMB_101EK113-EK000412.JPG

Last edited: