Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking about moving to Ohio, what part has some of the best hunting?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
At that price the list of qualified buyers is short, if it stays on the market with little interest I'd imagine they'd be looking for offers.... Good luck on your venture....

i went and looked at a 218 acre piece in southern Muskingum county but when i got there they told me they had a holding tank and had to haul water because they couldnt get it with a well because of mines. i rode all over that land for hours and didnt see any buck rubs or deer tracks in the mud, all i found was a couple small scrapes on the quad trails. Not seeing any deer sign kinda shyed me away from it and the no water part was kinda a dream killer to. i decided im going to try to stay around coshocton, muskingum, licking and surrounding countys because i have friends in coshocton and would like to stay within an hr of there if possible but im open to looking at anything at this point. I also read that lots of the states record bucks come from that area, so i figure that gives me a better chance at finding a great property, maybe im wrong.

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
That sucks about the 218. The 100 sounds promising. May be able to buy the surround areas once the older folks are about to die. Don't want to sound harsh. But its reality I guess.

i was honestly thinking the same thing Dustin. im really bumbed about there being no water and very little deer sign on the 218 acres because it was cheap for about 2,400 an acre and the place im looking at in Licking wants more like 5 grand an acre but they claim there are lots of big bucks there so ill find out how the deer sign looks when i go look at it tomorrow.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to see you are still around. Good luck on your search. I'd think Licking would be a pretty dang good area.

the place in licking is not appraising for what the seller wants and he wont come down so it looks like im back to the search again. now im going to go look at a 150 acre place around killbuck ohio in Holmes county. i have heard good things about the hunting around that area, what do you guys think?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
the place in licking is not appraising for what the seller wants and he wont come down so it looks like im back to the search again. now im going to go look at a 150 acre place around killbuck ohio in Holmes county. i have heard good things about the hunting around that area, what do you guys think?

Holmes County is a beautiful area. Not to scare you, but you may want to visit the link below. Just a heads up that Holmes County, or at least portions of it, are currently designated as 'Deer Surveillance Area' due to positive CWD samples in and around some captive deer herds. Just something to consider while conducting your search...

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlif...r-chronic-wasting-disease-in-ohio-s-deer-herd

OO2

In the Uplands
I know your plan is to hunt the property but maybe don't tell the seller you are buying to hunt. I could possibly be 100% wrong but maybe they hear hunting and think more $$$. Like I said I may be completely wrong. Good luck in your search!

reo

N.E. Ohio

Also an extremely large Amish population in Holmes.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Also an extremely large Amish population in Holmes.
Yep, that alone would deter me, I can't stand them. But there is good hunting to be had in holmes county, as long as you don't have any brown it's down Amish around. A buddy of mine has a family farm outside of Glenmont, they kill nice bucks every year.

thanks for all the replys guys, the place is just a few miles north of killbuck that im going to go look at. im going there on monday but im not real sure if thats where i wanna go after reading all the comments haha. hopefully they get that CWD under control, we had it hit bad on my land in pa a few years ago and it wiped out most of our good bucks.

thanks for all the replys guys, the place is just a few miles north of killbuck that im going to go look at. im going there on monday but im not real sure if thats where i wanna go after reading all the comments haha. hopefully they get that CWD under control, we had it hit bad on my land in pa a few years ago and it wiped out most of our good bucks.

Are you confusing CWD with EHD? There has been some cases of CWD, but they haven't wiped out any local herds. We have got hit a couple of times with EHD pretty bad in Western PA. I think the worst was in 2007 if I remember correctly.

Are you confusing CWD with EHD? There has been some cases of CWD, but they haven't wiped out any local herds. We have got hit a couple of times with EHD pretty bad in Western PA. I think the worst was in 2007 if I remember correctly.

Yep i had them confused, i actually dont really know what the difference is. i need to do a little research.

Holmes County is a beautiful area. Not to scare you, but you may want to visit the link below. Just a heads up that Holmes County, or at least portions of it, are currently designated as 'Deer Surveillance Area' due to positive CWD samples in and around some captive deer herds. Just something to consider while conducting your search...

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlif...r-chronic-wasting-disease-in-ohio-s-deer-herd

any idea when this should be lifted?

reo

N.E. Ohio
A few miles north of killbuck would put you in the millersburg area. The heart of Amish country.....

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
You asked about "trophy" bucks specifically mentioned genetics. For that, I'd be looking at western counties like Champaign, Clark, Greene and Highland. If you want to stay east then Coshocton, Licking and Knox all have good deer hunting with some potential for a great buck.

As others have said, be very conscious of the neighboring land. I would avoid bordering on public land that is open to hunting. Trespassers tend to expand that land across the boundary line a LOT. Dealing with that would get old. A big piece that allows zero hunting and they live there and watch the place closely, that would be a very good neighbor! As previously stated avoid Amish rich areas.

Lastly, Ross, Jackson and Pike counties have good trophy potential and might offer some decent per acre pricing.

Good luck in your search.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Land that's within a half mile of public land but has good genetics can be a safe haven for mature bucks to go to escape the pressure so I wouldn't quite rule those areas out...

My property borders WNF on 2 sides and I have had 0 issues with trespassing. I don't even have posted signs yet. One issue with having a neighbor that allows no hunting is you may not be able to retrieve a deer. Eventually that will happen.

Every property is different and changes over time. This includes deer population and neighbors. Find a property that you like and go for it.

Last edited: