Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iks........

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Sorry about the delay fellers! I had to go to one of my buddies wedding receptions today at 6 so I didn't have much time to update anyone. I'm not gonna make a new thread about the hunt, so here's my story..

It started about a week ago, I came home from work and there was a nice buck behind my house, chasing does. Long story short, I tried to hunt him from the ground and couldn't get him close. I knew then that there was a nice buck crushing back here somewhere. FFW to today..
I'm in my garage today, around 11, getting my boat cleaned up and getting ready to winterize it. My gf came flying in and said there was a big buck out back. So I go through the house and look out the back window and there he was. So I grabbed my bow and went on the back porch, of course he was on his does ass so again, he ran over the hill and gone. So I decided I was going to hunt this deer today. As I was getting my scent free shower before I headed out, my gf says "there he is again." He came back through, maybe 75 yards from the back porch chasing does. So I shagged ass to get out back and get in a tree. I only have 3 acres, so I didn't have any options on trees, so I picked one that was about 60 yards from my house. I had 2 bottoms coming together to my left, along with a nice beddimg area. To my right was a nice open patch of woods. Ahead was one of the bottoms. So I get settled in, and pick a few shooting lanes and range them out. I'm texting my gf, who is 60 yds away in the house, when I hear a twig break. I look over and there he his, waking right at me. Not even 45 minutes after getting in the tree.

He's coming right towards me, nose to the ground. At about 45 yards, he turns and heads to the left. He's waking on a shelf that's out of range and too thick. As I think he's gonna walk off without giving me an opportunity, he stops and makes a 90 degree turn, kind of to my left. I had 3 little openings that would give me a clear shot. The first 2, he ignored by baaaps, but the 3rd he stopped in his tracks. He was about 40 yds at this point, and quartering hard. I put my pin where I think it should be and let my arrow fly.

Last edited:

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Initially I heard the sound that you love to hear, kinda sounds like shooting a pumpkin. He trots about 20 yards and stops, and looks around. I didn't see any exit wound or blood. He trots about another 60 yards into a thicket and I lose sight of him. I thought for sure I missed. I would've guaranteed it. I climbed down and couldn't find my arrow, blood. Nothing. I stood there, wondering what happened. I stated to walk the way he ran, looking for blood or anything. I glanced up the hill and there he was. About 80 yds from where I shot him. Where he was quartering so hard, the arrow got a lung and the heart, then hit his right shoulder and didn't pass through. I never would've thought I could kill a deer on my 3 acres. I'm tickled to dearth with him and blessed as could be.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Sorry for the long story, I didn't realize it was gonna be that long!
Here's some pics :

Entrance. He was quartering hard

The view from my stand to my house

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I forgot to mention, my girlfriend sat and watched the entire thing unfold from my back window. I texted her when I saw him, and she saw him come in, and me draw back and shoot him. Pretty neat experience.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's awesome Jake! What a sweet experience it must've been! Sounds like this gf of yours is one hell of a girl, you better marry her!

jlane

dunn nc
Great story and awesome buck,
sometimes it all comes together quick. Glad it worked out for you.:smiley_clap: