Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another Succesful Season in the Books

Hogmister13

IMAGE.jpegThanks Everybody I really appreciate it. The videos should tell most the stories but it will be a while before I can post them.
So here is a short recap of each deer.
(Kentucky) My Vacation Started Nov 4 as it always does every year and I had two Tags to fill in 10 days so I wasn't gonna be pickey. I had a goal set for anything 130 or bigger. First couple started with really good movement, seen a lot of chasing and passed a couple border line bucks. Nov 5th I had a great encounter with a Nice Solid 8 point (Picture above), grunted him in and he came running at me looking for a fight. The deer ends up under my stand and sees me so he spooks and runs, so I pulled back, grunted and he stopped at what I thought was 25 yards but end up being 30 and I hit the deer low on the shoulder pretty much in the damn leg. Well after going back and watching the footage I knew it wasn't a fatal hit and from the way the deer acted he wasn't hurt too bad. I tracked the deer a good half a mile with the blood coming to a stop and just pin drops here and there. Feeling sick and having a restless night, A climbed back in the tree the next day for an all day sit. About noon I decided to climb down and move my stand 40 yards closer to where I had seen most the deer. Soon as I got to the bottom of the tree I look up and there is a Giant walking with his nose to the ground 30 yards away. I scramble to get my bow and by the time I knocked my arrow he is done over the hill... Unbelievable... at this point Im kicking myself in the ass for not staying put. So I finally get in the tree I wanted and set the rest the day. Was pretty slow up until about 5:00 I look up and I see a deer working his way across the power line. I could tell it was a definite shooter.I grunt, he looks, he turns and walks straight at me, makes a scrape and walks 15 yards and I put a rage in his cage..50 yard recovery.
(Ohio) Two days later I headed to a private farm In Ohio where I missed a giant last year. Had a lot of good movement, seen a couple borderline shooters, lots of chasing and had one encounter with a Stud..massive chocolate horn with a drop tine..the first encounter with him he blows by me chasing a doe and never got a shot.. the next day I decided to do a hang and hunt 300 yards across the field inside a honey suckle thicket where I had seen most the action... right off the bat about 8:00am here comes that drop tine buck cruising.. he walks within 30 yards of me but couldn't get a shot..too thick... 1 hour later I hear a deer walking from the direction the buck went and sure enough its him coming back, right at me. The deer freakin walks within 15 yards and I pull back but still had no clear shot..damn honeysuckles ..I throw every call I got at the deer to try and bring him back but he never showed interest.. At this point Im tore up and sick at the same time...I knew had to move or cut some lanes...There is an Old Rock fence from back in the 30's that runs adjacent to the thicket.. There was 3 places on the fence where the rocks had fell over and I could tell the deer were crossing at those places. So I done another Hang and hunt the next day, putting myself in the middle of these crossings..also cut some shooting lanes.. I hunted for 5 days straight.. 4 of the 5 were all day sits, seen a lot of action and movement but no shooters...my vacation ends...Monday comes around and Im back at work..well this is when that big ass moon hits and I decided to call in the next day and drive 4 hours back to Ohio and give it one more try..so 9:00 that morning after hitting a can call a couple times I hear a deer walking behind... I look up and see the biggest bodied deer ive ever seen .. at this point I didn't care what his rack looked like, I just know it had to be a mature deer. the deer starts walking to one of my shooting lanes I trimmed and at this ppint I see he has a nice rack with good mass..., I go to pull back but My safety harness fuggs me up, so I had to let down and unhook my safety harness then pull back again.. soon as I got pulled back the deer is already in my shooting lane.. I grunt, he stops.. I center punch him and watch him run 70 yards and take his last breath...Ive been very blessed this season. Ive put in so much work and time during the off season preparing for these hunts.. all the blood, sweat and tears.. all the miles traveled and money spent payed off.

Last edited:

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Congrats man! That is some dedication right there. My hat goes off to anyone who can do all day sits let alone 4 out of 5 days! I am in pain just thinking about it.

Hogmister13

Thanks man.
It wasn't easy especially in a piece of crap walmart hang on stand.. I really missed my summit climber

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Must say, very nicely done! Self filming is very challenging!:smiley_clap:

Thanks for sharing those! You had a lot more action than I did this year as I hunted basically the same week(4-12) saw one shooter twice.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well done! It takes a lot of dedication to self film hunts like that. I can tell that you work your butt off and your rewards are well deserved. Congrats on your successful season.