Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2016

Jamie

Ohio
since I got this out of the way last week,
IMG_0698.jpg

We finally got this underway today.
11-15-16 1.jpg11-15-16 number 6.jpg

Lefty has really come into his own. no rust to knock off this year even though we have not treed a squirrel since March, although he did run one down and kill it at the bike path all on his own back in September. hunted his ass off today. he's gonna sleep good tonight. I don't know which one of us needed today more. squirrel hunting is just plain fun. ;)
Slick has treed a couple of times, but has not yet opened up on a tree. only a matter of time now. I'll not hunt them together until Slick can tree on his own, but I'm very excited with what I've seen out of Slick so far. he'll be six months old next week, but sure seems to have all the favorable instincts, and seems a little more energetic in the woods than Lefty ever did. Lefty methodical, Slick fast and rangy. anxious for the time when I can loose them together.

Jamie

Ohio
thanks, gents. I need to get another deer or two kilt, but I'm sure looking forward to some serious squirrel hunting. can't get enough of it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There he is.... Glad you got that buck outta the way so you can start slaying them bushy tails!!!! Looking forward too the journey, Jamie....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was wondering where you went. Thought you wandered off into some squirrel never-never land or something. lmao

Was getting burnt out a bit. Took a stroll with my 17hmr to swap a camera card. Plugged two big fox squirrels and thought "Dumby. You never made the template Jamie sent you. Now you get to skin them the old fashioned way." Great looking buck Jamie. I look forward to your adventures with the pooches. Congrats on the trad buck!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations on the buck, Jamie! We will make a squirrel hunt happen this year if you are still up for it in my neighborhood! Flat lands or hills, your choice.

Jamie

Ohio
again, thank you all. Hicks, I'm almost always in some squirrel never-never land, lol. September-October are always uber busy months for me. getting all my work done for the season, end of the garden, preparation for hunting, firewood, etc. besides that, we had to put our old Lab Lewis to rest, a week later my old timer hunting buddy/ squirrel dog guru lost his battle with cancer on November 4. I'm all cried out now, but it has been a tough stretch and a struggle to stay motivated and focused on hunting. is much easier for me to stay present, in the now, when I'm hunting, even if I have to force myself to go, and I've had to do that a few times. in the rearview mirror now. time to make some meat and train a dog.

Brock, I'm totally still up for it! have dog, will travel.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang Jamie. Sorry to hear it. Rough stretch of road you've been on recently. Some openness there. I pray your road smooths out and the woods are good to your mental and emotional recovery. Sure hurts losing one of our friends. Two legged or four legged. Brutus the Boxer is still my screen saver 14-15mo after we had to put him down. Couldn't imagine losing one of my long time friends/mentor/gurus and a good dog within a week. That would test a man.

Jamie

Ohio
tracker, Dean Torges was a hunting/fishing buddy, bow building mentor and squirrel dog guru to me, but to the Traditional archery community, he was an icon. a world renown authority on building wooden bows, a consummate craftsman, a very successful archery hunter, and a prolific writer and speaker. he was trad archery. and an accomplished dog handler, too. from Walkers, to Beagles, to Curs, he ran them all and did it like a pro. he had a PhD in The Classics and taught at The Ohio State University back in the late 60's before becoming a cabinet maker. I'm sure gonna miss him.