Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slow Year Question/thoughts

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Haha.

Check your inbox, closest I could get was my grandma.

You sent it to me by accident. Please don't take this wrong. I am happily married. But. . . Your grandma is hot. lmao

Hope they pay attention to the no trespassing signs. Sometimes they do. Other times they are overlooked. Good luck!

gpb1111

Took a week away from the property and went out with my boy yesterday afternoon.

On the way there I saw the corn had been taken down so I had high hopes.

We had 2 does and two fawns come in. I think the two fawns were also does so there's hope for this 20 acres.

I will say I almost had my boy in tears over telling him he had to pass on the doe. We have had talks about managing this herd and he knows why we had to pass, but it was still hard for him to do. I think it was a good lesson for him in multiple facets.

His words: "that was the BIGGEST doe I have ever seen and we just let it go!"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Took a week away from the property and went out with my boy yesterday afternoon.

On the way there I saw the corn had been taken down so I had high hopes.

We had 2 does and two fawns come in. I think the two fawns were also does so there's hope for this 20 acres.

I will say I almost had my boy in tears over telling him he had to pass on the doe. We have had talks about managing this herd and he knows why we had to pass, but it was still hard for him to do. I think it was a good lesson for him in multiple facets.

His words: "that was the BIGGEST doe I have ever seen and we just let it go!"

Tough lesson but you'll be reaping the benefits in a few years because of it.... Youngins live in the "now", soon he'll figure it out....

gpb1111

Put out some cameras as suggested and found where these deer are moving. Most movements at night but there seems to be a pretty healthy population of deer.

Unfortunately, for every 3 deer on camera there is probably 1 coyote. I'm going to have to do something about them. Suggestions?

Also what age you think this 10 pt is? 3-1/2?

gpb1111

I'd say he's definitely no older than 3.5 and could very well be 2.5 imo.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If he walks by its going to be difficult for me not to put him down. Although next year he will probably put on a ton of mass.

We'll see. Thanks.

Fletch

Supporting Member
gpb..... First off pic of your son is PRICELESS.... Can't get any better than that.. Keep at it and together you will both gain a wealth of knowledge throughout the coming years... Better than that the bond you will create between the two of you will be priceless. You mentioned if crop rotation affects the deer??? Funny you said that as I was just wondering the same. This year out in Illinois one of our farms was planted in soy beans. Last year it was corn. This year we seemed to have less deer on that farm. Next year it will be in corn, so time will tell. Just for the record all crops are usually harvested before we arrive in Nov. whether it be corn or soy beans.

danielldehoff198

Well in fear of burning him out at that young of an age ur doing awesome kid that age typically do sent have enough patients to walk to the stand with out his dad wanting to wipe his ass lol jk. But there r definitely other parts of the hunt you r able to involve him in if you r worried bout burning him out you can involve him in and dude a nice corn pile for your boy to look at while he out there for something to look at is cool for the kids too all east he well be seeing other wildlife but the bait hauling the trail cam checking and skining hanging cutting of the deer is cool to the kids to they just be happy to be kicking it with there dad at that age but r still board easly so take them hunting but involve them in the more active parts of the hunt. If they enjoy the part of the hunt that is work to most hunters our age he will love the hunting when he old enough to sit and not be discouraged . You r doing a great job there dad and doing your duty to the sport and your son fucking awesome to see dudes like u out there love it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well in fear of burning him out at that young of an age ur doing awesome kid that age typically do sent have enough patients to walk to the stand with out his dad wanting to wipe his ass lol jk. But there r definitely other parts of the hunt you r able to involve him in if you r worried bout burning him out you can involve him in and dude a nice corn pile for your boy to look at while he out there for something to look at is cool for the kids too all east he well be seeing other wildlife but the bait hauling the trail cam checking and skining hanging cutting of the deer is cool to the kids to they just be happy to be kicking it with there dad at that age but r still board easly so take them hunting but involve them in the more active parts of the hunt. If they enjoy the part of the hunt that is work to most hunters our age he will love the hunting when he old enough to sit and not be discouraged . You r doing a great job there dad and doing your duty to the sport and your son fucking awesome to see dudes like u out there love it

I hate to sound like the grammar police, but that is tough to read. You might try proof reading a tad. Welcome to TOO. Not trying to be harsh. Just saying, it is difficult.