Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoys

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
What if a buck comes into your decoy and it's one you'd like to pass on? Do you just let him loose interest? Throw a tennis ball at him?

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I have had this happen a lot. Most of the time they will investigate the decoy then booger out. Not super alarmed, but walk away stiff legged and head bobbing. This has happend to me on neumerous occasions. I have had does snort and blow a time or two at a buck decoy, but most of the time they do the same thing as other bucks. I may bust my decoy out tonight. Seems about the time.

djohn9713

I just ordered a young buck one from Montana decoys. I figured I would throw it up in the backyard to see if anything comes near it. What's the verdict on using them in the woods? Worth it or waste of money?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just ordered a young buck one from Montana decoys. I figured I would throw it up in the backyard to see if anything comes near it. What's the verdict on using them in the woods? Worth it or waste of money?
I've heard that they tend to spook deer if they are in the woods since they are a lot less visible. I don't use them at all just because imo it's a 50/50 chance that the deer will either spook or commit to it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
If you put it in the backyard, don't leave it out overnight. My 3D target got it's ass handed to him several times about this time of year. His eyes were all gouged out, ear broken off and found him in pieces a lot.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll let you know tomorrow. Put mine together tonight. My Cabelas bucks are now depleted. Glad I had the points/bucks saved up on my card. Those Boss Buck decoys aren't cheap.

Since the decoy thread is opened, may as well ask some more questions.

Do you guys smoke up your decoy? Do you spray them down with scent elimination spray? Or do you just carry it in and set it up?

Isaacorps

Columbus
I'll let you know tomorrow. Put mine together tonight. My Cabelas bucks are now depleted. Glad I had the points/bucks saved up on my card. Those Boss Buck decoys aren't cheap.

Since the decoy thread is opened, may as well ask some more questions.

Do you guys smoke up your decoy? Do you spray them down with scent elimination spray? Or do you just carry it in and set it up?

Good questions, I’m curious TOO...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brock helped square me away on how to set it. I always figured face it towards me as I would expect a buck to square up head to head with the decoy. What surprised me was Brock telling me most of the bucks went around the rear to sniff the decoy butt first, then walked around face to face with the decoy. I intend on mostly broadside set up with the decoy 20-25yds away from my blind. I have an open area between two thickets with standing corn to the east. My area is maybe the size of a couple football fields. Plenty open for the bucks to see the decoy. Good location for cruising bucks who may see it. Good area to try some blind rattling. I'm excited to use it. Not so excited to carry it 1/4-1/2 mile in along with a chair, my bow, and gear for an all day sit. I'm going to be a pack mule in the morning.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I used mine yesterday and today both times had a small buck come check it out then walk off. Some larger bucks saw it but did investigate. I have it set up behind a doe.

I spray it down with scent elimination spray

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
20171101_172614.jpg I used my decoy on Wednesday evening had this spike investigate, i sprayed it down with dead down wind scent killer, a six point was coming into the decoy also but spotted a live doe at the other end of the field and took off chasing her, but the spike walked around the decoy for probably 3 to 4 minutes before wondering off.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock helped square me away on how to set it. I always figured face it towards me as I would expect a buck to square up head to head with the decoy. What surprised me was Brock telling me most of the bucks went around the rear to sniff the decoy butt first, then walked around face to face with the decoy. I intend on mostly broadside set up with the decoy 20-25yds away from my blind. I have an open area between two thickets with standing corn to the east. My area is maybe the size of a couple football fields. Plenty open for the bucks to see the decoy. Good location for cruising bucks who may see it. Good area to try some blind rattling. I'm excited to use it. Not so excited to carry it 1/4-1/2 mile in along with a chair, my bow, and gear for an all day sit. I'm going to be a pack mule in the morning.

???? I always have the decoy facing the stand or blind. Lol. I don't know how much difference it makes. They walk around the thing usually, sizing up the situation.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
???? I always have the decoy facing the stand or blind. Lol. I don't know how much difference it makes. They walk around the thing usually, sizing up the situation.
Yeah. I heard you say that. I figured broadside at 20yds and I'll have a shot whether a buck investigates the back or the front. Never said I was a quick learner Brock. Lol

Like you Brock, seems all I have read is buck decoy facing you, doe decoy face it away from you. They'll skirt a buck decoy to face off from the sides or head-on and a doe decoy they'll sneak up and do the sniff test from the rear. Of course nothing is an exact science.