Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions on crossbow hunting

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I don't mind the diversity. I have killed deer with everything but a cross bow and long bow. I use to be mad-dog bow, years ago but now I enjoy dragging out the season with a variety of bows and guns.
Just be accurate and know your limatations.

"A mans got to know his limitations".

After toting around my kid's with the crossbow I will try to stick to a vertical bow as long as I can. Damn things are too heavy, bulky and just are a PITA to tote around for me. They are equalizers though for not having much time for practice, kids or even the extra heavy poundage for penetration.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I don't mind the diversity. I have killed deer with everything but a cross bow and long bow. I use to be mad-dog bow, years ago but now I enjoy dragging out the season with a variety of bows and guns.
Just be accurate and know your limatations.

"A mans got to know his limitations".

That's my favorite quote lol.... Use it all the time .....

nis1

I started with an old Horton crossbow but never took a deer with it. Went to the compound and have killed many deer with it and love hunting with a compound bow. I'm not outwardly against the use of a crossbow, especially for the youth, handicapped, and elderly but for some reason when I see a picture of a giant buck someone killed with a crossbow, I experience some sort of internal negativity about it. I can't explain why but I just feel that it is more challenging and real to hunt with a vertical bow than putting a scope on a deers vitals and squeezing a trigger. With that said, I am now wondering if guys that hunt with traditional bows view compound hunters in the same way? Who knows. Regardless, I did kill a doe with my dads crossbow last year because I was in a situation where I constantly had so many deer coming through, I would never be able to draw a normal bow. I agree with the folks that responded that crossbows have their place. As long as the hunting methods are legal, I don't have a problem with them.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I had someone tell me the other day (someone I really had a lot of respect for) that what I do isn't hunting. He said a deer has to have big antlers and you have to basically target him and only him; that if you just shoot something that happens to walk in front of you, you aren't hunting.

I haven't been a hunter for long, but I'm learning pretty quickly that opinions like what hunting really is, or what the most sporting weapon is, just don't matter at the end of the day. I'll hunt with what I feel confident with and what's legal, and I'll continue to kill what I choose to kill when presented with the opportunity.

Everything else is just noise.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I had someone tell me the other day (someone I really had a lot of respect for) that what I do isn't hunting. He said a deer has to have big antlers and you have to basically target him and only him; that if you just shoot something that happens to walk in front of you, you aren't hunting.

I haven't been a hunter for long, but I'm learning pretty quickly that opinions like what hunting really is, or what the most sporting weapon is, just don't matter at the end of the day. I'll hunt with what I feel confident with and what's legal, and I'll continue to kill what I choose to kill when presented with the opportunity.

Everything else is just noise.

Agreed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I started with an old Horton crossbow but never took a deer with it. Went to the compound and have killed many deer with it and love hunting with a compound bow. I'm not outwardly against the use of a crossbow, especially for the youth, handicapped, and elderly but for some reason when I see a picture of a giant buck someone killed with a crossbow, I experience some sort of internal negativity about it. I can't explain why but I just feel that it is more challenging and real to hunt with a vertical bow than putting a scope on a deers vitals and squeezing a trigger. With that said, I am now wondering if guys that hunt with traditional bows view compound hunters in the same way? Who knows. Regardless, I did kill a doe with my dads crossbow last year because I was in a situation where I constantly had so many deer coming through, I would never be able to draw a normal bow. I agree with the folks that responded that crossbows have their place. As long as the hunting methods are legal, I don't have a problem with them.

Some of them do, some of them don't. Some of them refuse to even call a compound a bow, just like a lot of compound guys call an xbow a string gun. You'll have elitist no matter the group. I try to take a middle of the road approach, as long as what the guy is doing is legal then more power to him.

epe

Lancaster
Messed my shoulder up years ago so I shoot a crossbow. I know a couple guys that don't practice that much with compounds and wonder why they miss or wound deer. The goal is to kill the deer quickly without it having to suffer. Not to be a "challenge".

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's hunting. All different types of weapons to choose from based on what the regulations say what is legal to use at the time. Use what helps you be more accurate in making the most ethical and humane shot possible and know your limitations.

Good luck and be safe.

Limitations is the key word. The manufacturers of both compounds and crossbows keep increasing arrow speed. Some equate this to mean I can kill a deer at any distance. I always thought archery hunting was meant to be up close and personal. Limit your self to ethical shots you know you can make regardless of what you choose to hunt with. We are all going to make a bad shot sooner or later, it happens. But, if you know you weren't pushing the envelope, you will not kick yourself as much when the shot goes awry IMO.