Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Did you read M R James article in Bowhunter mag?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Did anyone here read it? He politely unloaded on Indiana DNR and their whitetail policy/ method. I was a little surprised but he had as tactful. Seems their policy mirrors ours. If you get a chance you should read it

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have not read it, but I know his views are very similar to mine. It took him a couple of extra years to get really hot about it. When I was really ticked off a few years back, I begged him to write an article on the matter. Glad he finally did and I'll look forward to reading it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It did sound like I was reading You wrote. Sound like a neighborhood management approach was implemented and doing well with it

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He allowed a neighbor boy to shoot a doe on his farm about 5 years ago. I think that is the only doe that has been taken off his place since he bought it. I think it makes a huge difference, leaving the girls alone. Ten years ago, the DOW and every other deer related organization was promoting doe harvest. Thankfully, at least with some, that trend has run it's course. You do not get better bucks by killing every doe you see!

.243Fizz

Yep happened in Pa first! Let's shoot all the doe off and let the spikes and forkhorns walk and we will have more bucks reaching upper age classes. What a bunch of bulldip! No does having bucks = No bucks or deer for that matter. Thankfully I found private land that doesn't kill every doe they see. Hunting State land is tough in central pa since they did the herd reduction.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep happened in Pa first! Let's shoot all the doe off and let the spikes and forkhorns walk and we will have more bucks reaching upper age classes. What a bunch of bulldip! No does having bucks = No bucks or deer for that matter. Thankfully I found private land that doesn't kill every doe they see. Hunting State land is tough in central pa since they did the herd reduction.

I've said it for a long time.

Every buck fell out of a does vagina. It doesn't get more brass tacks than that.