Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I think I heard something

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks fellas, much appreciated! So here's the story. Got in the stand around 2:15 yesterday. Saw does at 3:30, they browsed at 50 yards then walked off. Had a 4pt stroll by at 4:30. More does after that. It was windy, so windy that I was kicking myself in the ass for even being in the stand. This was my first sit in the stand and first time hunting this part of the farm. I found this spot while shed hunting last year, it's a hell of a funnel with a big ass ravine 50 yards in front of me and a high wall 60 yards behind me. Once I started seeing these does and that 4 point work in like they did I knew this was a good spot, but I was starting to doubt that I was going to see anything good with the high wind. I couldn't hear anything moving in the woods and had to rely on eyesight the whole time, so I stood for most of the hunt. Fast forward to 6:15, I'm watching some does about 80 yards to my South when I hear I grunt. I turn just in time to see a buck hauling ass right in front of my stand. He gets down to where the does are and he grunts again, so I give him 3 short grunts. Fugger comes in on a string to 20 yards. I let him go, and as he is walking away I see how wide he is and try to stop him with some mouth bleats, he wasn't having it. He finally stopped at 30 yards but was facing away, I grunted again and he came back! I drew back on him and my fuggin peep wasn't aligned right, still thought I could make the shot so I let one rip, completely missed him. This time he bolts back to 30 yards and stops with the back half of his body behind a tree and his front half exposed. I quickly nock another FMJ and as soon as I get it ready to roll he starts the foot stomping. I had mere seconds to shoot or he was going to high tail it out. Drew back and put my pin on him for what I thought would be a double lung shot, squeeze my release and my fuggin string smacks my coat. That was loud as hell but I heard the tell tale thwack of an arrow hitting a deer. He didn't mule kick but hunched up before he bolted up the high wall. I waited a few minutes then got down to find my arrow. Could not find my arrow or any blood right off the bat so I called my buddy. We met up and started searching. Took us about 45 minutes and I found a clump of white hair then blood. Blood was pretty good but there was a couple pieces of corn in it. Ended up tracking him about 300 yards and he bedded 3 times before we found him. Longest drag of my life lol. Bring on Missouri!!