Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio 2016 Rut Report. County? Conditions?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Buddy shot a nice 9 point yesterday that came in on a string to a bleat call.... He dropped the cape off at the taxi and 5 bucks were dropped off yesterday. He then dropped the carcass of at the processor and the freezer was full of deer, mostly bucks.... Some pretty good ones according to him.....

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Buddy shot a nice 9 point yesterday that came in on a string to a bleat call.... He dropped the cape off at the taxi and 5 bucks were dropped off yesterday. He then dropped the carcass of at the processor and the freezer was full of deer, mostly bucks.... Some pretty good ones according to him.....

Why time of day did he get it

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Why time of day did he get it

7:30.... We were texting back and forth and he answered a text and then less then 3 minutes later I get I just shot a buck text....
He looked up saw it at 60 yards, put the phone in his pocket, pulled out the grunt call hit it a couple times.... Nothing.... Pulled out the can call.... Turned it over once and he came in flying.... At 10 yards he turned around and offered a not quite straight down shot and he took it, 100+ yards later he was down.... All in less then 3 minutes....

IMG_7631.jpg

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
7:30.... We were texting back and forth and he answered a text and then less then 3 minutes later I get I just shot a buck text....
He looked up saw it at 60 yards, put the phone in his pocket, pulled out the grunt call hit it a couple times.... Nothing.... Pulled out the can call.... Turned it over once and he came in flying.... At 10 yards he turned around and offered a not quite straight down shot and he took it, 100+ yards later he was down.... All in less then 3 minutes....

View attachment 49580

Awesome congrats to him on a nice one

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Awesome congrats to him on a nice one

Up to that point he was pissing razor blades because lack of deer movement, he's been fortunate to take a couple over 150" so he's got some good genes on that farm..... He was debating on getting a full mount done until his son told him he wanted the smallest one in his room when this one was done.....

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Just saw a good buck bedded with a hot doe in the neighbors wood lot. I ran them over the hill towards Spencie's daughters boyfriends lease.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Based on pics from 11/1 through today and my hunt today, it was a great week to be in the woods. I'd say a couple big boys are locked down with does and this front will produce some dirt naps for sure!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've got some locked up I think. I've seen plenty of does that aren't quite ready yet, so we should have an interesting week ahead.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Yesterday the moon was perfect for both morning and evening hunts, which only happens a handful of times a season. I killed a nice 9 pt and personally know of 6 other nice bucks that were killed yesterday. The one i killed was chasing a doe hard....right under me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Deer were moving like crazy up here this afternoon. I watched multiple bucks cruising after work. Then three more went through my back yard. So I hopped in the truck and drove around the township for last light... Deer everywhere. Wish i was hunting!

epe

Lancaster
Based on pics from 11/1 through today and my hunt today, it was a great week to be in the woods. I'd say a couple big boys are locked down with does and this front will produce some dirt naps for sure!
Where we are hunting down here in Washington county we are at least a week away. Does with fawns and only little bucks cruising..

epe

Lancaster
From what I have seen from trail cam pics and hunting the weekends this is what I have seen in Washington County as well. In the last 2 weeks I only had 1 daylight photo of a decent buck.
Yeah it's getting close but not there. All young bucks. Hoping this weekend when I come back in..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think it's happening right on schedule. Deer are prepared for cold weather right now. It isn't cold. Anytime you have temps above 45 this time of year, daytime movement is lessened. I promise you, if you were in a tree right now you would hear a lot of rutting activity. The deer I've seen the last couple mornings looked tired, I assume from running around with a winter coat in springtime temps.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yesterday the moon was perfect for both morning and evening hunts, which only happens a handful of times a season. I killed a nice 9 pt and personally know of 6 other nice bucks that were killed yesterday. The one i killed was chasing a doe hard....right under me.

You did kill a dandy. Congratulations again!

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I aint seen nothing yet. Although, i saw a doe running away from something around 6 friday she was about 200 yards out....i wasnt able TOo make it out what had happen. So about 615 the wide 8 came thru front of my blind. I got TOO thinking maybe he tried to chase after her. Who knows. That was about it. Hard tellin