Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tips on public land

Wes brewer

I'm coming up from Mississippi to visit family they live outside of Dayton they are non hunters that's un heard of in Mississippi but hey everyone's not a hunter I'm bringing my bow along scince they are non hunters they don't have friends who hunt so I can't ask them the usual question like where and when are some good spots I'm coming on the 17th of November the bucks should be on there feet from the stuff I've read but it's kinda hard for me to scout an area when I live 9&1/2 hours away just from me looking at topo maps and reading I think Caesar creek, Woodbury,Wayne wildlife, and crown city are some good looking places but I have no clue I'm a pretty descent how hunter and I know how to scout but i only have about 4 or 5 days to hunt any advice on where to look or where to start would be very much appreciated and if anybody wants to trade out a 4to5 day hunt on private land in Mississippi for the same in Ohio I'm game I have 3,500 acres here all private land we can def work something out!! Just want a chance at one of those studs I see every time I drive up there I've seen several over 140 wile driving up there and always wanted to hunt but if public land there is like here I'm wasting my time but we have a very long rifle season so that's the diff in Ohio short rifle season thanks in advance for any info or tips!!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I've heard that there are some studs taken out of Fallsville Wildlife Area, which is about an hour drive from the east side of the Dayton area. You might wanna look at that.

kentuckyoutdoorsman

Giles,

You're speaking my language. I don't mind nasty terrain or long nasty drags out if the reward is a nice buck or a tender doe. Any more insight you can give on Fallsville would be appreciated. I'm a transplant from Kentucky and in the 1.5 years I've lived here all I've found so far is public land to hunt. Its a whole different world than hunting the family farm back in Kentucky but the challenge is more exciting I think. I live on the west side of Columbus so its not exactly in the neighborhood but I'll drive for deer. Thanks for all your help!