Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting clover

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Question... at our club, new pipelines were put in last spring. Lots of clover was planted as it was reclaimed. All summer the clover was a hot bed of activity. Early season it was as well, but the feeding there has cut down significantly within the last week or so.

I've never hunted a clover patch before. Is this normal this time of year? I'm assuming the nuts are falling and patterns changed slightly.

Is clover something they'll start hitting again with the frost or late season?

What are your experiences?

KYhunter

My experience is that clover is a hot bed of activity in the early season. Once it frosts on it, the usage rate is cut down tremendously. Time this along with the falling of acorns and they hardly use it at all. They will visit it some, but it's kind of an opportunity type deal, they will eat it if they passs through, but won't seek it out.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Just spitballing here, but I disagree to a point. Clover is a draw at any time of the year. Especially white clover! Sure, there's other more preferred food sources at given times, but I've witnessed deer feeding on clover during pre rut, rut and post rut. Especially does. We all know what follows and searches for does in the months of October, November and December! Lol
Nuff said?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just spitballing here, but I disagree to a point. Clover is a draw at any time of the year. Especially white clover! Sure, there's other more preferred food sources at given times, but I've witnessed deer feeding on clover during pre rut, rut and post rut. Especially does. We all know what follows and searches for does in the months of October, November and December! Lol
Nuff said?
That's what I always read. I planted a honey hole plot with winter rye and clover. Haven't hunted it yet though, but there's does feeding in it.

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
Here in Vt the deer dropped off the clover for a few weeks while the nut was hitting the ground, but they are back on the clover and chicory hard right now, at least the doe and yearling fawns are, the buck are coming to it but after dark.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree with Ron. Deer will browse clover all year. Nothing compared to acorns and that's where they are right now. But those will dry up and they'll be back. Knowing the area you are hunting and how fresh that clover is, I can almost guarantee you'll see deer digging through snow to get to that clover...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
They feed on clover year round. It's the best food in tonnage.
Just had this discussion with a guy on Saturday while talking plots. I can't believe I waited so long to plant clover. I was so in to growing big leafy tubers the deer didn't because it was fun growing them! After seeing my Merit Seed clover/chicory blend this year, I doubt I ever plant another tuber. Cereal grains and clover w/ chicory from here on out.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Awesome info guys! I feel like an idiot even asking that question. I've been hunting ever since I can remember, but have never been fortunate enough to hunt a "plot" or corn fields or anything like that. I've always been in the hardwoods for the most part.

Appreciate the input!