Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tracking dog needed in Meigs Co

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I knew that dog would find it lol. Congrats on a great buck. Thanks for helping out Taylor. Gunner is awesome until he tracks to the witches line lol.

Jay/NC

Central NC
Dang guys I'm humbled by all the kind words. I really appreciate everyone of them. Now for the back story.

My buddy Clay has a family farm in Meigs Co and we've been hunting it for several years now. He & his sons came up during the summer & put in a couple of small food plots. I wasn't able to tag along due to a funeral if I remember correctly. Clay & I came back up a couple of weeks before the season opened to bait some areas with corn. I told him we needed to plan on coming back up to hunt when the first cold front was forecasted.

Jay/NC

Central NC
We both watched the weather & our anticipation began building when we saw the slight drop in temps for the past weekend.

We loaded up my truck & hit the road last Friday evening. We arrived around 2:30am after the 5-6 hr drive. He dropped me off & I quickly got my Lonewolf, sticks & pack together & slipped on my boots & disappeared into the darkness. I hung my stand in one of my favorite places for a NW wind on the farm as quietly as possible. Clay was popping up a ground blind next to one of his plots & checking his trail cams.

I got back to the house around 4am & after looking at the pics I decided to stay up, jump in the shower & head back to the stand versus taking a nap.

I was in the tree before 7am & & started seeing deer around 8. I ended up seeing 3 bucks (1.5yo 4pt, 2.5yo 6pt & 2.5yo 8pt), a small flock of hens/poults & a yote. I wanted to shoot the yote but he was more interested in chasing the 4pt than coming to my "squeeks".

Ok this is getting long so I'll speed up LOL.

Jay/NC

Central NC
After putting out corn we both took a short power nap & climbed back in the saddle. I only saw 1 doe Sat PM. The spot I was hunting has consistently been a better AM stand.

Clay saw deer from his ground blind from my memory but I can't remember what exactly. He moved to his "Hilton" box blind for his evening hunt & saw lots of deer including one NICE shooter out of range from him his Xbow.

Jay/NC

Central NC
Sunday AM I hunted my LW for the 3rd time & saw turkeys & 1 doe. My mom called me while I was on stand so reluctantly bailed out to walk back toward the road to see what was going on.

Clay & I both live in central NC but I was born & raised on a farm in eastern NC. You may have heard of the lil storm [emoji12]named Matthew that heading up the eastern seaboard this past weekend. According to all the weather "experts" the storm was supposed to make a U-turn & head back south. Needless to say they were wrong.

Mom told me her basement had taken on water on both ends & she had a monster pine tree fall directly on her out building. After some "discussion" I told her I'd see her Monday AM. I climbed back up & hunted until noon without seeing anything besides more [emoji884].

I decided to pull my stand & move close to Clay's box blind for our last evening hunt.

Jay/NC

Central NC
After grabbing some lunch & shooting my bow I hung my stand in a tree off the box blind plot that I had hunted in previous years. It was the right decision. [emoji1]

Clay had said he didn't see deer until after 6 out of the box blind so we went out a lil later that evening. (More nap time [emoji23])

We got settled just before 6. (Clay in the Hilton & me in my LW). It was only minutes before a flock of turkeys made their way across the field headed to roost. Then around 6:30 some does, fawns & a spike came out to feed. Shortly before dark 4 bucks entered the plot on a trail roughly 20 yards from me.

For further clarification the Hilton was only 78 yds from where I was hunting according to my rangefinder. The 4th buck dwarfed the others in body size even though he rack wasn't huge. I quickly decided to try to take him before I ran out of shooting light.

When he got in an opening thru the limbs I ranged him at 23 yards perfectly broadside. Unfortunately by the time I got to full draw he had turned slightly toward the box blind & taken a few steps.

Diablo54

Outside

Jay/NC

Central NC
I centered my 20 & 30 yd pins on his opposite front shoulder & squeezed. In an instant my arrow was gone. I saw the green nock light up for a split second, heard the all to familiar whack & the light disappeared.

He wheeled to his left & took off like a bat outa hell. I noticed he was running low for all he was worth with his tail down & twitchin like crazy. What I didn't see was the green lighted nock. Not in him or on the ground.

He was outa sight in a matter of a couple of seconds. I was jacked up at this point to say the least. I felt really good about the shot based on the location the arrow entered him as well as the sound of it.