Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

October 5th was a good one

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did some stuff around the house today and took a break and sat on the front porch enjoying a fall day and got the urge to go be in a stand.... Hit the shower, got my gear ready, smoked everything then texted the wife I won't be here when you get home lol.... Off to the stand I went, driving down I was thinking about a stand I got off of Phil and haven't sat there yet but thought I'd save it for later in the season.... Arrived at the property to find a communication tower crew working on the tower above my stand I was going to hunt.... Welp, plan B lol... Got dressed and headed to the back stand figuring at least I'll be able to see for a long distance and do more of a scouting hunt...
Got to the stand and got ready and it was a little after 3, at 5 a doe came out of the corn and fed in the lower alfalfa field and then went back in after about 20 minutes, she did this about 3-4 times the remainder of the evening....
About 6, 4 doe came out to my right, they were skittish as they were traveling with the wind and they were all over the place and then finally bolted about 300 yards over to a bean field.... A little while later a doe and a small 6 point came out to my left and they were just milling around and then headed back where they came from...
10-15 minutes later 6 more doe came out with the biggest being in the middle and I thought I'd take her if she offered a shot.... Low and behold she walked right in front of me and offered a 20 yard quartering away and I took the shot.... This is the first year I've used lighted knocks, I like them.... This is the second year for the rage chisel tip 3 blade, last year I didn't like the results but figured I'd give em another chance as it might have been a fluke shot.... I was impressed.... On impact I saw I hit where I had aimed and it was a solid heart shot... The blood that sprayed was phenomenal, it did a 100 yard loop and dropped 40 yards to my left.... I was actually surprised by what I just witnessed.... the next 30-40 minutes I was locked into the stand with doe all around me and couldn't risk blowing them outta there.....
All in all it was a great night.... Now to concentrate on antlers....

IMG_7334.jpg

IMG_7336.jpg

IMG_7335.jpg

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Awesome Job J.............Let me be the first to say Congratulations buddy!! :pickle: That's going TOO be some good eating right there.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Damn it, got beat out of being the first while I was typing. And here I thought Chad would have beaten me, lol. Congrats again Jay

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on a heck of a hunt, J! Glad you didn't let those workers ruin your hunt!

I've been hunting long enough to realize stuff happens and you either adapt or go home.... Going home wasn't an option....
Thanks Diane, Jeff and Tom....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What about the groundhog? Lol, congrats man. Sounded like a hell of a hunt. Don't get many with that much action.

It's days are numbered David lmao... I'll have an extra arrow especially for that little fugger lol
Thanks buddy...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congratulations J! Sounds like you were covered in deer the last couple hours of the night. That is good stuff. That will feel good as the rut rolls around with all those does. I'm going to say it was due to the lucky stand and generous contribution to Huck's gun. You had some good karma working for you. (And just a couple years of experience under your belt couldn't have hurt any. lol)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congratulations J! Sounds like you were covered in deer the last couple hours of the night. That is good stuff. That will feel good as the rut rolls around with all those does. I'm going to say it was due to the lucky stand and generous contribution to Huck's gun. You had some good karma working for you. (And just a couple years of experience under your belt couldn't have hurt any. lol)

Thanks Phil, I owe you a big thanks for that stand... great stand and I can see some more great sits in it...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah!!!! That's what I'm talking about! Congrats buddy. Sounds like things couldn't have gone smoother. Well done

Thanks brother, you don't get many nights like this but this keeps you coming back year after year...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Phil, I owe you a big thanks for that stand... great stand and I can see some more great sits in it...

You don't owe me a thing. I gave you a price. You coughed up the cash. We are good. I'm just glad it worked well for you. I was just teasing about it being "because of the stand." lmao

I do believe you will continue to like it though. I could have saved you $25-50. I don't believe the $25-50 cheaper stand will be as comfortable, hold up as long, be as quiet as the one you bought, or as stable. When I threw the options out there, you did it right. Those are really great stands. Saving $25 but being uncomfortable in 2hrs or having the stand squeak when you stand up isn't worth it to me. Not to mention the 21' height. Was it a pain in the butt to hang?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You don't owe me a thing. I gave you a price. You coughed up the cash. We are good. I'm just glad it worked well for you. I was just teasing about it being "because of the stand." lmao

I do believe you will continue to like it though. I could have saved you $25-50. I don't believe the $25-50 cheaper stand will be as comfortable, hold up as long, be as quiet as the one you bought, or as stable. When I threw the options out there, you did it right. Those are really great stands. Saving $25 but being uncomfortable in 2hrs or having the stand squeak when you stand up isn't worth it to me. Not to mention the 21' height. Was it a pain in the butt to hang?

Not really as there was three of us as I had that neck issue going on at the time... It actually went up fairly easy....