Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

duck hunting

sika

Hi all ,
I am an Irish hunter who will be visiting Akron from the 25th Oct. to the 4th Nov. and I would be very grateful if anyone out there could advise me on where to hunt / outfitters / guides. I would like to go duck hunting and wonder would anyone know of some good guides or outfitters. Any info at all would be great , thanks.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Welcome! Just leave the whiskey in the truck;). I'm no duck hunter but there are several on here that should be able to help!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Your actually from Ireland? What is bringing you to Akron ? Might be able to get ya out . Are ya interested in geese at all or just ducks ?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Very cool. I hope the TOO family can help coordinate a hunt for you. If you can get out with Carpn, do it. He'll get you on some birds if they're in the area. If there's anything around central Ohio and you don't mind a longer drive I might be able to help.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I talked to a gentlemen from Northern Ireland the other day. I love that accent!

I'm no help, but will second getting in touch with Carpn. He's a great resource on this front .

sika

Hi Carpn ,
thank you for replying , yes I am from Ireland - I will be visiting my son who is married and lives in Akron. I love hunting and fishing and hunt duck, geese,pheasant, woodcock , snipe, woodpigeon etc. in season. I went hunting Caribou in North Quebec with my sons 2 years ago , that was great ! Are you a guide ? I would love to try hunting in Ohio , my son has arranged permission to go after Turkeys but I would like to go wildfowling when I am there. I don't have a retriever and don't know where to go,
Sika.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I'm not a guide , but would love to possibly take you hunting . I do not know of any reputable guides whom I'd wanna recommend . Several around but I have heard nothing good about them.
I can't commit to anything for sure cause I usually base my waterfowl hunting that time of yr on what birds I'm seeing . That's prime time for archery hunting deer and that generally takes my priority . Also hunting ducks then can be really hit and miss round here . Mostly wood ducks and some teal and mallards . I'll stay in touch here . If I can line up a good shoot , or if I manage to fill my buck tag by then we'll make something happen.

sika

Thank you Carpn ,
I appreciate that , my duck hunting here would be mostly mallard , teal ( like your green winged teal ) and wigeon ( European wigeon ). Some divers - tufted and pochard .We go after snipe and woodcock a lot. What is the story about hunting around Lake Erie ?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
There is alot of competition on the public areas , most private areas are locked up by lease or by people whom have had permission for yrs . Ya can hunt the lakeshore and islands but that generally requires a boat . Some of the public areas have daily drawings in the morning to hunt units . Ya usually get to pick a unit in the order you draw . I have limited experience hunting Erie tho .

Qback5

Eurasian wigeon!!! Neat to hear you mention that it's in your repertoire...not surprisingly they are very rare around here, occasionally mixed in with American Wigeon. I've seen 1 in spring, mixed in with huge flocks. As others have said, if you get the chance to hunt with Carpn, take it...great guy who puts in a lot of work to find birds.