Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dead Ash: Let's be careful out there!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Been cutting up a lot lately and talking to my neighbor who is kinda in the firewood business as a side job. He said this year and especially next year or two it will be extremely dangerous anywhere these ticking time bombs are present. Another neighbor told be yesterday that a week or so his wife just finished mowing and about 20 minutes later a huge ash limb just snapped and landed right where she had been mowing minutes before! There was no wind at all!

I've noticed myself while driving how many dead ash trees are just standing along side the road or within 50 feet of so that look like they could fall over at any second! I imagine it even more dangerous in the middle of the timber. Even though we wouldn't put a stand in one of these time bombs we should just take note if any are near enough to our stands or blinds to be a threat!

My honey hole stand had several big trees fall within 20 yards of it during some strong winds this summer but I've noticed several dead ash nearby that has me worried now. Just wanted to bring this up because I think many of us could be in danger and not know it.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I had a huge limb fall from a tree ten feet next to me while I was on stand yesterday. No wind either. Not sure what kind of tree it was

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Had two loud crashes behind while on stand last night... May have to take a closer look to see if any are back there...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We are going in and taking down the few we have on the farm this winter. One will make a nice saw log. Probably put it on the mill and cut some lumber for a project to go in the cabin.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Great reminder! I have dropped 6 in our yard the last 2yrs. Big ol dead tree right in front of my main stand, shedding bark this year and even though I havent sat in it yet to watch it, I know I have to move or help it down.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The one woods I hunt is absolutely devastated since it was at least 50% ash.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea these dangerous suckers are literally everywhere around here. I hear them fall all the damn time. Sad thing is, I've come across a couple stands on public ground this year that guys have attached to dead Ash trees. Dipshits...