Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening Morning Doe

Jason Short

Wayne County
Well I hadn't planned on hunting this morning but changed my mind last night. With NNE winds I couldn't hunt the stand that I wanted to so I took my climber and hunted a spot that I've never sat before. I wanted to hunt it last year but never got around to it so I decided to give it a shot this morning. There were no good trees to get up very high so I just sat on the back side of one expecting the deer to walk through behind me. From the second I sat down I was doing battle with blood thirsty mosquitoes and loosing pretty bad. Just as I was about to go crazy I saw a doe step out of some grasses into the woods behind me. I got positioned and she walked in a semi circle around to my left side stopping broadside at about 25 yards. I let one fly and she took off but I was pretty sure I heard her crash within a few seconds. I gave her some time and took all my stuff back to my vehicle before looking for her. The blood trail wasn't very good but it was good enough and I found her laying about 70 yards from the stand. Got her drug out and to the processor as quick as I could since its so fricken hot. Thanks to God for giving me this opportunity to take my first opening day deer! Now it's time to look for a buck. And maybe a late season button buck :smiley_coolpeace:

Laying how I found her.
IMG_20160924_091836767.jpg