Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scrape dripper?

MandRroofing

In the woods
Hey everyone, I've never created my own mock scrape before I was going to try it this year in a pinch point that I've success in. I have no idea what to do, any good tips? I have a magnum dripper that I would like to use. When should I start applying this and what should I look for as in Licking branch excetera? Thanks guys appreciate it!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've only used a dripper one time and wasn't impressed. I have had much better luck just peeing in mock scrapes as I have any other method. That said, I hunt the same properties year in and year out, so I know where scrapes pop up and refresh those or kick them off early. I've already started two mock scrapes, so it's not too soon. Any chest to head high branch on field edges or along well used trails works well. My best mock scrape was on the edge of a food plot where two trails entered. I can count on it to produce every year.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I create scrapes every year. It's all about the licking branch! It must be there. Beech, pine and oak seem to be favorites. If there isn't a limb where I need it I will hang one there. I just kick out the leaves under a likely limb and walk away. They usually start hitting it within a couple days. Field edges and intersecting trails are the best spots. I like to take a weedeater and chainsaw out in early September to make sure perennial scrapes are ready to go.

I have never used a scent dripper. I'm curious what you find out.

Here is one I created last week.
IMG_1345 - Copy.jpg

rsmith

I create scrapes every year. It's all about the licking branch! It must be there. Beech, pine and oak seem to be favorites. If there isn't a limb where I need it I will hang one there. I just kick out the leaves under a likely limb and walk away. They usually start hitting it within a couple days. Field edges and intersecting trails are the best spots. I like to take a weedeater and chainsaw out in early September to make sure perennial scrapes are ready to go.

I have never used a scent dripper. I'm curious what you find out.

Here is one I created last week.
View attachment 48014
That is a awesome idea! I'm using this for sure! Would be perfect for where I need to hang one at!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have tried the drippers years ago and like Jess, was not impressed.
I have just tore up a chosen spot with a stick and pee'ed there too and gotten better activity.

I have also tried digging up a fresh scrape, bagged it up from a big deer at the other end of our county and deposit it on the local big boy scrape in my woods. My local deer tore it up but at night so I never did get a shot. but the concept worked.