Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public land bow hunting

Just moved back to PA near State Game Lands 285 which borders Ohio. I have hunted private ground in Summit/Stark the last few years when I lived out there as my employer had 1000+ acres (I made the stupid choice of taking a job in PA to get closer to family....still debating on that one as I essentially had a private hunting preserve that I gave up) but will be trying my luck on the closer public land areas to my house (Beaver Creek and Highlandtown) for most of Archery. My house is about 20 min drive so it should give me plenty of oppurtunity to at least attempt and I have heard good things from the locals about areas surrounding Beaver.

For gun season I have a few friends I met in Ohio that have some private ground near New Philadelphia that I will hopefully still hunting.

Vermonster1121

Sheldon, VT
I've driven over 14 hours to hunt Ohio public land the past couple of years and never seen another hunter in the woods. Yes I have seen several trucks along side the road and yes I have had people beat me to spots. Use google maps, google earth, and topo maps to really find those hard to reach spots. Most of the spots I have found in Ohio have been from a couch several hundred miles away. You have to want to go in deeper and hunt harder than others. Last year I killed a buck about a mile and a half from the truck on state land. To add to that it was 400' of elevation drop from the truck to the deer's final resting place. It was a tough drag that took just under 4 hours with two guys but the deer also is P&Y. You get out of it what you put into it is how I look at it. Best of luck this year.

Imagine the crowed hunting land like you guys have but everyone has a freaking 30-06 or 300 win mag. No thank you I will sit my happy tail at home. When you are hunting public ground and can see a gun discharge before you hear it because it is still so dark you are in the wrong place.

reo

N.E. Ohio
PPG Industries in Barberton....most there property is right outside of town going towards New Franklin a bunch of city deer....saw the biggest buck of my life and shot at the biggest buck I have ever had a chance at

Couple of those Stark County monsters must have jumped the border. Probably ran up the berm on 93 rotflmao

nis1

Haha they must have made there way up into Akron some of the pictures a buddy sent me of bucks near Cuyahoga Falls were just crazy

Summit county is where it's at. Pretty much no public land but the park hunts are a great thing to get involved in if your a summit county resident. I know of 4 150"+ killed on park properties last year.

Jake_C

Just moved back to PA near State Game Lands 285 which borders Ohio. I have hunted private ground in Summit/Stark the last few years when I lived out there as my employer had 1000+ acres (I made the stupid choice of taking a job in PA to get closer to family....still debating on that one as I essentially had a private hunting preserve that I gave up) but will be trying my luck on the closer public land areas to my house (Beaver Creek and Highlandtown) for most of Archery. My house is about 20 min drive so it should give me plenty of oppurtunity to at least attempt and I have heard good things from the locals about areas surrounding Beaver.

For gun season I have a few friends I met in Ohio that have some private ground near New Philadelphia that I will hopefully still hunting.

Beaver creek is on my list of places to look into next year. I've heard some decent things about it and it doesn't get much pressure from what I've seen. Where in PA do you live? Must be right across the line from me if your only 20 minutes from those two WA.