Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whatch think?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You wouldn't be happy taking this deer ?

No, unless I believe it is him, and right now I do not. I would feel bad if we killed him and found out he is a three year old instead of 8+, or however old Beans should be. Mason is sure it's him, so I hope it is or hope he doesn't get an opportunity at this one. Ha.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here are a couple of pics of him last year. He obviously lost a lot from the previous year, tines shortened, etc. Yet he still has that little crab claw on the inside of his right beam as this deer does this year. I just don't know what to think, and I'm getting tired of studying pics trying to figure it out....like you guys are probably tired of me showing you more. HA

Attachments

• MFDC0897.jpg
    MFDC0897.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 90
  • MFDC0902.jpg
    MFDC0902.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 69

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here's a better one from three yrs ago. Notice that point on the inside of his right beam? This deer has it, but that's about it.

Another thing worth mentioning on differences, his split right g2 is no longer split and the mass doesn't appear as heavy. I really just can't say 100% one way or the other Brock or Mason! I do know I'd shoot "this" years buck without losing any sleep as he's as mature a buck you could ever wanna hunt, IMO!

If I had to say one way or another I'd say 51% yes it is Beans and 49% no it's not.....rotflmao

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
No, unless I believe it is him, and right now I do not. I would feel bad if we killed him and found out he is a three year old instead of 8+, or however old Beans should be. Mason is sure it's him, so I hope it is or hope he doesn't get an opportunity at this one. Ha.

Wow. OK. To each their own I guess.

Buckmaster

Portage
My vote is "no", not him.

I was paying close attention to the left beam toward the tip as it curls in a bit on this year's photo.

Maybe my eyes are getting old but I'd say,,,,,"not him".

rsmith

I'm with everyone else with them not being the same deer. They do seem to have similar characteristics but the body and the sheer mass of the deer in the middle is significantly larger then the other pictures. Also look at the first picture and the 4th picture, see how he has that mule deer type split g2, the buck in the last 2 does not have that trait. Also look at the first picture and notice how he doesn't have a browtine on his right side, the picture of the deer in the last 2 does which I find odd as well. Deffinatly a great deer but it's a no for me on them being the same deer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
All the boys have shed over the last two or three days.

Here is the deer in question without velvet. I'm telling you guys, Mason is positive this is him, and there are some striking similarities that perhaps I'm not doing a good job of conveying with the limited pics posted. I'd just feel a lot better if the other one would show up so Mason would get off killing what may be a "has been". :) And let me tell you, if I knew it was him for sure, I'd be all for Mason killing him if given the chance. And I should clarify, he can kill any deer he wants, it's just funny after two solid years of him refusing to shoot that he is suddenly ready to kill any decent buck. I mean last year after we found the big one again, he wouldn't even go back to hunt that big 10 and he was coming in every day with shooting light for a couple of weeks!

Attachments

• MFDC1156.jpg
    MFDC1156.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 79
  • MFDC1158.jpg
    MFDC1158.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 93
  • MFDC1182.jpg
    MFDC1182.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 81
  • MFDC1195.jpg
    MFDC1195.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 75

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The one in the background is the one Mason believes this one to be. And this was taken last year.

Attachments

• Tines 2015.jpg
    Tines 2015.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 76

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm trying to find pics that show the similarities but it is kinda hard due to most of what I have being vids. Anyway, a couple more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 79
I agree that it is tough for us to tell. Since you have originals, you can blow them up and look at details. Obviously you have history with this deer which helps as well. The 1st pic from this year that you posted 3 hrs ago, you can see how poor of shape the deer is in. Look at how thin he is. His backbone is sticking up thru the hide. I think the poor physical condition not only affects his rack, but also makes him look younger than what he is and smaller body size.

My opinion would be to take him and then get him aged. I wouldn't lose that much sleep if he turns out to be a 3 yr old. Of course I am from PA where 3 is an old old deer. LOL.

Jake_C

Hard to really tell... I want to GUESS that it's not, though. maybe a sibling/offspring and that's where that crab claw is coming from? either way I'd put him down just to find out for sure! ;)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
At this point we are going to kill this dude if given the chance. I'm seeing enough similarities to believe it might be him. Mason is certain it is. Unless I see otherwise beforehand, we are killing him and sending his teeth off. Even if it isn't, he's a pretty solid buck and Mason is trigger happy this year anyway.

rsmith

Good luck to you and Mason this year! Hopefully he will stroll on by and you guys will be able to connect on a great deer! What ever happened to that monster 10 that he shot over the back of last year? I can't remember if you guys ended up seeing it again after that or not.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That 10 took a solid raping from a much smaller 8 right in front of the camera. We never saw him again after that. I have no idea if he died last year or not, but wouldn't be surprised. He disappeared mid October. Other hunters found 7 decapitated bucks at the back of the farm, wouldn't be surprised if he was one of them.