Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2-Way Radios

Looking for some 2 way radios. At our camp the cell coverage is very spotty. Wanting something that is very quiet with maybe an ear bud? The wife will be helping taking kids and I prefer that they are able to get ahold of me in case they need to. Does any have a text feature? Not looking for extreme long range and something that is fairly budget priced.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I use radio's in the crane on occasion. I can tell you this: Get all the radio you can afford and don't skip on the earbuds either. Nothing is more frustrating than a radio that almost works. All radio's work good 60 yds apart in a parking lot. Distance and obstacles will make a noticeable difference.

Buckmaster

Portage
Mine are good for 34 miles but that's probably on Lake Erie. Put a hill in between them and they are good for nothing.

These are the $ 150 models.

fishwendel2

Make sure you are not using them while in the act of hunting deer. Per the Ohio Revised Code: (10) It shall be unlawful to use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person's voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Make sure you are not using them while in the act of hunting deer. Per the Ohio Revised Code: (10) It shall be unlawful to use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person's voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer.

Pretty sure can use them, you just can't use them to assist in the taking of deer (radioing their position or direction to a fellow hunter, for example). Same goes for texting / cell-phones.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Not posting this because of anything anyone said, I just thought it might be helpful for folks who want to use radios. I remember reading it a while back and went and found it again. Ohio Cuffs & Collars – March 11th, 2016 (http://www.outdoornews.com/2016/03/10/ohio-cuffs-collars-march-11th-2016/)

-----

• During the extra two days of the 2015 deer-gun hunting season, state wildlife officer Matt Teders, assigned to Madison County, was on patrol at Deer Creek Wildlife Area. Officer Teders observed a large group of hunters about to start a deer drive. Officer Teders checked the hunters. He observed two-way radios on most of the hunters and could hear others communicating on a channel.

Officer Teders left the contact and turned his two-way radio to the hunters’ channel. Officer Teders listened as the hunters put on the drive. Over the radio he heard of a deer running down a creek. Soon after the radio traffic, officer Teders heard several shots from the group. Officer Teders called in state wildlife officers John Coffman and Josh Elster. After an investigation, it was determined that one hunter had killed a second deer before temporarily tagging the first deer.

The investigation also revealed which hunter had spoken on the radio to let the other hunters know which way the deer was running. Radios can be used while hunting, but cannot be used to communicate deer movement. Two hunters were cited, one for harvesting a second deer before attaching a tag to the first, and the second for the use of a radio to communicate deer movements. The hunters paid $390 in fines and court costs.

Last edited:
Not posting this because of anything anyone said, I just thought it might be helpful for folks who want to use radios. I remember reading it a while back and went and found it again. Ohio Cuffs & Collars – March 11th, 2016 (http://www.outdoornews.com/2016/03/10/ohio-cuffs-collars-march-11th-2016/)

-----

• During the extra two days of the 2015 deer-gun hunting season, state wildlife officer Matt Teders, assigned to Madison County, was on patrol at Deer Creek Wildlife Area. Officer Teders observed a large group of hunters about to start a deer drive. Officer Teders checked the hunters. He observed two-way radios on most of the hunters and could hear others communicating on a channel.

Officer Teders left the contact and turned his two-way radio to the hunters’ channel. Officer Teders listened as the hunters put on the drive. Over the radio he heard of a deer running down a creek. Soon after the radio traffic, officer Teders heard several shots from the group. Officer Teders called in state wildlife officers John Coffman and Josh Elster. After an investigation, it was determined that one hunter had killed a second deer before temporarily tagging the first deer.

The investigation also revealed which hunter had spoken on the radio to let the other hunters know which way the deer was running. Radios can be used while hunting, but cannot be used to communicate deer movement. Two hunters were cited, one for harvesting a second deer before attaching a tag to the first, and the second for the use of a radio to communicate deer movements. The hunters paid $390 in fines and court costs.

We have pretty much the same law in PA.