Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crossbows...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
They aren't cheating but damn....

That is 60 yards off a rest and the first time at that distance. The flyer has a bad field tip in it and is always a little off.

This is the first Xbow I have ever owned and I can see how many see it as a better killing machine. Hardly any movement in the stand for a shot, fast, and easy too shoot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hence why I'll always argue it's an easier method of harvesting deer. Same as a rifle is easier than a shotgun, or a compound easier than a recurve. You still need to execute during the moment of truth, as well as doing the work of getting a deer in front of you. To argue they're not a easier method of killing deer next to more "traditional" archery gear is ludicrous.

That said, I'll be buying one in the spring. I have a new generation hunter to educate and crossbows are outstanding for that.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hence why I'll always argue it's an easier method of harvesting deer. Same as a rifle is easier than a shotgun, or a compound easier than a recurve. You still need to execute during the moment of truth, as well as doing the work of getting a deer in front of you. To argue they're not a easier method of killing deer next to more "traditional" archery gear is ludicrous.

That said, I'll be buying one in the spring. I have a new generation hunter to educate and crossbows are outstanding for that.
That's why I bought this one.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
For the first time I will solely be crossbow hunting this year with my daughters bow. I took a varsity assist basketball coaching job and will have way less time to hunt this fall and winter. I will be taking Layla until she kills a buck then I will start when she is done. I shot my buck last year with a crossbow and enjoyed it just as much as killing one with the compound. I also did not have a less of sense of satisfaction either. Eventually I will get back to a compound, but I don't have time to shoot through the season to stay fresh and confident.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I went with one last fall for the same reason, with work not enough time to practice, tone the muscles and feel good about shooting at a deer. Took a BB early in the season.

brancher147

Try it at 60 with no rest, like you would be in a hunting situation, same as a compound. They are not any more accurate than a compound. And are a lot louder and heavier.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for them, but after using one all last year, I am going back to the compound. Good luck with yours.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I went with a two man ladder stand two years ago and with the safety bar that swings down in front of you I use that as a rest. I have no shot at deer behind me because of the brush it's all to the left, right, and mostly in front.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My buddy spent about $1200 on one earlier this year and was grouping like that at 60 yards the other day. They are killing machines. Like Jesse, I plan on buying one either in the Spring, or on craigslist from someone who is desperate for Xmas cash after most are done bowhunting. My last 3 years have been getting more geared for Greysons early hunting years anyways. Time for more Ground Blinds and Buddy Stands

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
My buddy spent about $1200 on one earlier this year and was grouping like that at 60 yards the other day. They are killing machines. Like Jesse, I plan on buying one either in the Spring, or on craigslist from someone who is desperate for Xmas cash after most are done bowhunting. My last 3 years have been getting more geared for Greysons early hunting years anyways. Time for more Ground Blinds and Buddy Stands

Best time to buy is in the Spring. It's almost like they sell their bow to get the boat going or a new fishing pole. Strange but it's true.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Try it at 60 with no rest, like you would be in a hunting situation, same as a compound. They are not any more accurate than a compound. And are a lot louder and heavier.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for them, but after using one all last year, I am going back to the compound. Good luck with yours.
Well, challenge excepted but at 50 yards because of the neighbor mowing.

No rest, standing, slinged...

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
You Da Man Beentown!! You know the other reason I bought mine was late in the fall / early winter staying warm and pulling back on my compound was not fun. I have no regrets.

What weight are your bolts and broad head BT??

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looks real good Charles.
This thing is a keeper, especially for the price. The only thing I could see paying more for is better speed and maybe they can be a little lighter. This does 320fps (haven't measured myself) which is plenty.

I am a compound guy but this may just shoot some deer this year.

Jeff, the bolts weigh 410 grains as shot. I don't know what they use for a standard to get their ratings?

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
This thing is a keeper, especially for the price. The only thing I could see paying more for is better speed and maybe they can be a little lighter. This does 320fps (haven't measured myself) which is plenty.

I am a compound guy but this may just shoot some deer this year.

Jeff, the bolts weigh 410 grains as shot. I don't know what they use for a standard to get their ratings?

Thanks BT, the bolt is 410 grains as shot but is that with the broadhead or just the bolt weight? I shoot 85 grain Thunderheads but an really curious and your set up. I have always shot a compound but as I said I went to the Xbow last year. Any input is appreciated.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Charles, for an all-around bow, you done absolutely great. 320 is nothing to scoff at in speed dept. The string had been replaced. The price was less than half....and you get the tenpoint guarantee/customer service.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville

I agree. Im looking forward to one myself. Ill have to do some searching on what kind i would like get .