Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is an acceptable group to you?

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
This morning right before leaving for work I grabbed my bow,release and 4 arrows and my block target and stepped off 20 yards in the yard and shot 4 arrows with just 15 seconds in between shots with zero wind and the sun at my back. Tried to simulate some adrenaline but make as good as shot as possible. Took a pic,pulled my arrows and returned stuff to garage and headed to work. Pretty happy with how this bow and I are shooting so far.

Hell yeah good way to start the day

Pabowbender

This is a three shot shooting session at 20yrds, I keep them short. The "spots" are 3", so I'm pretty tight. Levi Morgan I'm not, but these are Muzzy practice broadheads and I'm confident in my shooting for hunting. I don't hunt with field points, so I don't see a reason to practice with them. That's just my philosophy.

Attachments

• IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 112

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is a three shot shooting session at 20yrds, I keep them short. The "spots" are 3", so I'm pretty tight. Levi Morgan I'm not, but these are Muzzy practice broadheads and I'm confident in my shooting for hunting. I don't hunt with field points, so I don't see a reason to practice with them. That's just my philosophy.

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I don't practice with BH is they tear up targets very fast and that's an unnecessary expense for my budget. If my bow is tuned like it should be then my arrows should hit the same no matter what tip I have on my arrows providing they weigh the same.

I will however shoot all my arrows with a dull BH before I go hunting to be absolutely sure they're dead on and that will only temper my confidence and mental game when I head to the woods.

BTW, nice shooting and good luck in the deer woods this season!

Pabowbender

Thanks. Actually, I've had that Block target for 3 years now. Like I mentioned, I just shoot three arrows at a time, and might shoot 100 all season, so it holds up pretty well. I'll also do a one shot practice, because you almost never get a second shot.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
IMG_20160911_181451429.jpgach]
Changed from aluminum arrows to carbon on my crossbow. Once I got it dialed in I tried it standing off hand at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I'm okay with this result

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I move around the yard and shoot from different angles.
So last night I shoot the other 3 arrows in the pack and one was a definite flyer - when I pulled it the fletching looked weird.
So I go to shoot them again, and this time I leaned up against the truck to steady myself, 32 yards.
First shot good, the flyer still a flyer, then SNAP shot the nock off the first arrow. Not a robin hood, but dang close.
$10 of proof that I now have 4 good arrows and a flyer

And I know better...the shame, the shame...

Buckmaster

Portage
Year 1.

My boy's 25 yard group.

I think it will suffice under close supervision and selective shot placement.

I'm good for destroying nocks at this distance so one shot per dot.

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Parker.jpg
    Parker.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 109

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
uploadfromtaptalk1473948210657.jpg

Needed to clear my mind before a big meeting today. The flyer was sitting on my ass and were shot from 40 yards. Still need some pin adjustment, but I'm almost in control of the operator at this point.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been pretty busy. When I shoot it is maybe a dozen arrows. Last night I had time to shoot 6 arrows as light ran out. I have changed to Brock's recommendation and I am shooting one arrow at a time. Occasionally, I'll shoot 2 arrows at two spots with a break between shooting them. I am very confident right now. Shots are consistent. I also made an adjustment on my release so I have less movement to squeeze the trigger. It seems to have helped a bunch. I haven't tried a 4- shot group but the individual shots have been offering me sub 6-8" groups at 40yds (meaning within 3-4" of the center of the dot I'm shooting at.) I know some of you are saying 1" for every 10yds. Or, maybe softball sized groups at 40". Mine are getting into coffee can bottom sized groups. "For me" I am satisfied with this at the moment. I would like to continue to tighten things up. I am realistic though. Coffee can at 40yds is a dead deer.. . .if the deer is a field target/not moving/no adrenaline/no tree limbs in the way/warmed up archer flinging the arrow. I am not sure I would shoot at 40yds at a live deer right now. Under 40yds I have zero doubts I would loose that arrow.