Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is an acceptable group to you?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
compound my max I will shoot is 40 and my groups are around 5-6 inches . Crossbow I am good out to 70 with my scope and a decent rest but would never shoot at a deer that far . may try 50 if its a monster .

I'm curious why it matters how big it's antlers are in regards to how far you would shoot.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Here's the groups I was shooting at 40 yards yesterday. 50 was pretty solid also. They could be tighter but I'm confident out to 40 yards on a deer. Not sure I'd like to take a 50 yard shot on a buck, things would have to be absolutely perfect for that to happen.

Milo

Tatonka guide.

Here's the groups I was shooting at 40 yards yesterday. 50 was pretty solid also. They could be tighter but I'm confident out to 40 yards on a deer. Not sure I'd like to take a 50 yard shot on a buck, things would have to be absolutely perfect for that to happen.
I have killed two deer at 45+\- and they were bother stoned from the rut. No reaction what so ever to a bow. It's a long ass shot in the woods that's for sure.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have killed two deer at 45+\- and they were bother stoned from the rut. No reaction what so ever to a bow. It's a long ass shot in the woods that's for sure.
Did you have to stop him? I agree, 50 yards is a long shot in the woods.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Did you have to stop him? I agree, 50 yards is a long shot in the woods.

On one I did and one I didn't. It's like time stops when that arrow flys. Both of them had their tongues hanging out the side of their mouths.. When they are chasing and you stop them, you could run over them with a truck they are so doped up

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
On one I did and one I didn't. It's like time stops when that arrow flys. Both of them had their tongues hanging out the side of their mouths..
It's almost like the arrow is in slow motion as it travels to its destination. The buck I killed 2 years ago was hot on a does ass, he stopped and looked right up at me as I was at full draw then kept going after the doe, stopped him 5 seconds later and he looked at me again, game over lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
On one I did and one I didn't. It's like time stops when that arrow flys. Both of them had their tongues hanging out the side of their mouths.. When they are chasing and you stop them, you could run over them with a truck they are so doped up

I was helping a buddy of mine on Saturday who is new to archery and I told him about the doe I killed on opening day in 2007. It was my first deer with the XT and I had been shooting a ton. She was eating acorns and was dead still at 51 yards when the arrow left the bow. Tracie was in the buddy stand with me and had time to say "wow..." before the arrow ever got there. Never again. 40 is my preferred max now, but I'd go to 45 if things were perfect.

That said, here is the last group at 50 tonight. I took 2-3 minutes for each shot. Sitting the bow down and acting as if each were the first shot of the day. I still have some form issues, but this type of practice gives me confidence in what's to come this fall...

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shot tonight. That group makes me feel inadequate Jesse. Nice shooting!

I am feeling great at 20-30 yds and pretty good at 40yds. 50 yds I feel about 75% of the time I can make it count. That said, 30 is my current max, with 40yds and absolutely perfect conditions I "might" take the shot.

On a coyote. . . .I would try my 60yd pin and not care at all.

I took one shot farther than 40yds in the past. I had shot a buck, made a bad shot on him, and he stopped at 80yds. I held my 60yd pin high and took the second shot when he stopped. Had I not seen the arrow hit his paunch and liver I would have NEVER tried to shoot him at 80yds. I shaved fur off his back and it was perfect left to right. In all honesty, it was probably a better shot than my first shot. lol

FWIW- Myself and MikeR recovered that deer the next morning.

Jake_C

My target has 5 "dots" on it. Each is about 3 inches around with a 1 inch black dot in the center. The longest range that I can consistently keep 3 arrows inside that circle is my max range on an animal. I can keep them in that circle at 50 every day but the reality is i have never and probably will never take a shot on an animal past 35. I would consider 40 if the deer was calm, no wind, basically "range" conditions. Those shots just don't exist where I'm hunting. The majority are more like 15 yards.

I was helping a buddy of mine on Saturday who is new to archery and I told him about the doe I killed on opening day in 2007. It was my first deer with the XT and I had been shooting a ton. She was eating acorns and was dead still at 51 yards when the arrow left the bow. Tracie was in the buddy stand with me and had time to say "wow..." before the arrow ever got there. Never again. 40 is my preferred max now, but I'd go to 45 if things were perfect.

That said, here is the last group at 50 tonight. I took 2-3 minutes for each shot. Sitting the bow down and acting as if each were the first shot of the day. I still have some form issues, but this type of practice gives me confidence in what's to come this fall...

I'm more than impressed. I can't group that well at twenty yards off a rest with my Horton. Maybe my shooting only broadheads is the reason.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This morning right before leaving for work I grabbed my bow,release and 4 arrows and my block target and stepped off 20 yards in the yard and shot 4 arrows with just 15 seconds in between shots with zero wind and the sun at my back. Tried to simulate some adrenaline but make as good as shot as possible. Took a pic,pulled my arrows and returned stuff to garage and headed to work. Pretty happy with how this bow and I are shooting so far.