Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is an acceptable group to you?

rsmith

For anyone here who has never learned to shoot with a back tension release (or back tension technique) you should really look in to this. Or maybe we could share that here. Hmmm...
This for sure!! I've shot back tension a couple times when going through target panic and I don't think I would have been able to get through it without it. I was using the Scott Hexx release which is a back tension with a wrist strap. I would highly recommend it to anyone trying to seriously improve there shooting. I now only shoot my release which is a Trufire hardcore maxx set at a hair trigger set up but it has a truglo boa strap cause I didn't like the one that came with the hardcore maxx. I also set it so the trigger rest in between the knucle closest to my hang and that really helped me out as well because you really can't feel its there.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just a suggestion- I don't like the idea of a "hair trigger" - when I have shot that type of release I get snap shots.
I shoot a scotts little goose. I REACH for the trigger. What I mean by that is I make sure to get my fat part of the finger over the trigger, not just touching it. I then pull with my back through the release. You are unable to tell by using that part of your finger exactly when the bow will go off.

I am not sure if my explanation makes sense, but if I could show you what I mean, I think you would see how it can help your shooting. I think Bill Winke did some videos on it at one point or another.

**I am far from an expert but just trying to help anyone wanting to listen.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might be worth trying. I could crank up the trigger weight and see. Then I would be squeezing it like a shotgun trigger. lol

Again, I appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions guys.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
$125-150 for the release? Is it worth it? I think I will keep figuring out which arrows are out of spine, and focusing on my form. Good muscle memory would serve me better than shelling out $150 trying something new before the season hits.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Might be worth trying. I could crank up the trigger weight and see. Then I would be squeezing it like a shotgun trigger. lol

Again, I appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions guys.

Phil you can keep the trigger the same. However it's about trying to get it past the tip of your finger. I try to let the trigger sit past my first knuckle. Then slowly pull with my back to make it go off. Again the middle of your finger isn't as sensitive as the tip so it causes a bit of a suprise release vs snap release or anticipated release.

rsmith

$125-150 for the release? Is it worth it? I think I will keep figuring out which arrows are out of spine, and focusing on my form. Good muscle memory would serve me better than shelling out $150 trying something new before the season hits.

This is what he is talking about for finger placement. I actually have mine testing a bit up more, almost right in the crease above where his trigger is now it really helps with a nice surprise release. And for the release it is way to expensive to buy new. I was lucky enough to have a local bow guy lend me one he had for free which was awesome. You can find them on archery talk for a good price though.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*

This is what he is talking about for finger placement. I actually have mine testing a bit up more, almost right in the crease above where his trigger is now it really helps with a nice surprise release. And for the release it is way to expensive to buy new. I was lucky enough to have a local bow guy lend me one he had for free which was awesome. You can find them on archery talk for a good price though.

Yes thank you. Idk how bad my wording was and if it was clear or not.

I know for myself I have to make a effort every time I shoot to make sure I get my finger over the trigger. When I do, my groups are much tighter.

Mind you, I am shooting a crossbow. My thinking in practice comes from years of shooting a rifle. I only practice at shorter ranges, I've never shot at a target past 20 yards with my crossbow. And I've never shot at a target past 200 yards with my centerfire rifle or past 100 yards with my rimfires. Most times I do not shoot at bulls eyes after my weapon is sighted in either. With my crossbow I shoot at a 4 X 6 inch piece of cardboard, without a bulls eye, attached to my target. This I feel is adequate to hit the lungs on a deer every time.

My thinking is that the further I shoot the worse my shooting will be. For me, in my mind, this lowers my confidence. I know it seems opposite of what most guys do, but it works for me. I know with my crossbow I very seldom, if ever, miss that 4 X 6 piece of cardboard at 20 yards. And I know when a deer walks in front of me he won't have a bulls eye to aim at either. I'll aim for that 4 X 6 " area of his ribcage and feel confident in my shot.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Phil, this is assuming you even have an issue, so forgive me What these fellas are trying to explain regarding the trigger is correct. A more firm trigger is often helpful simply because a person is not afraid to touch it What often happens with a light set trigger is the archer will keep his finger away from the trigger, then when his mind says "shoot", he will slam his finger down as quickly as possible. That's another problem altogether. To shoot really well, an archer should have his finger on the trigger as shown in the above picture. Nothing should enter his mind other than "aim". Seriously, nothing. Do not think "shoot", ever. If a person does that, he will stop aiming. There is no other way to shoot with maximum accuracy. Your mind cannot concentrate fully on more than one task, so make that task to aim. Your subconscious mind will trigger the shot, let it. Just aim. If your thoughts drift from aiming, all kinds of bad things happen that will scatter arrows all over the place.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil, this is assuming you even have an issue, so forgive me What these fellas are trying to explain regarding the trigger is correct. A more firm trigger is often helpful simply because a person is not afraid to touch it What often happens with a light set trigger is the archer will keep his finger away from the trigger, then when his mind says "shoot", he will slam his finger down as quickly as possible. That's another problem altogether. To shoot really well, an archer should have his finger on the trigger as shown in the above picture. Nothing should enter his mind other than "aim". Seriously, nothing. Do not think "shoot", ever. If a person does that, he will stop aiming. There is no other way to shoot with maximum accuracy. Your mind cannot concentrate fully on more than one task, so make that task to aim. Your subconscious mind will trigger the shot, let it. Just aim. If your thoughts drift from aiming, all kinds of bad things happen that will scatter arrows all over the place.

I like that input. Makes good sense. THanks Brock.

To be fair- I am working on trigger discipline still. The shots which surprise me when the arrow leaves have been my best shots. Other times I still find myself punching that trigger. I am getting better. Every single person in this thread has put out some solid info. I appreciate it. Lots of small variables here have added up to a ton of info!

I also recognize if I put all this input together, practice like mad, and become consistent- My average groups will vary from the next persons. Some people will simply be better shots and have tighter groups than me.

rsmith

I like that input. Makes good sense. THanks Brock.

To be fair- I am working on trigger discipline still. The shots which surprise me when the arrow leaves have been my best shots. Other times I still find myself punching that trigger. I am getting better. Every single person in this thread has put out some solid info. I appreciate it. Lots of small variables here have added up to a ton of info!

I also recognize if I put all this input together, practice like mad, and become consistent- My average groups will vary from the next persons. Some people will simply be better shots and have tighter groups than me.
Brock gave some solid advice right here. I found that this is true as well. With my release I can adjust trigger travel along with trigger weight and I found that a medium length travel and a light weight trigger has helped me. It forces me to focus on aiming like Brock said, but also I'm thinking "aim" the whole time and never thinking about actually shooting. With a medium travel and a lighter trigger it makes the shot go off with ease so your not worried about pulling the trigger hard, but also not worried about if you touch it it will go off. Where are you located at if you're close I wouldn't mind grabbing the guy that helped me shoot and have him help out if you want help.

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Thank you Brock. Explained what I could not.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I tried only shooting 2 arrows tonight instead of 6-8 at a time. What a difference!

I was able to concentrate on shots and did not tire as quickly. Me shots were great TOO.

This year I took a lesson on a back tension release at a local bow shop after new strings and a tune up.

I pretty much had to learn how to shoot "properly"

It has been both a struggle but rewarding.

ChasinTheTrophy

Western PA
compound my max I will shoot is 40 and my groups are around 5-6 inches . Crossbow I am good out to 70 with my scope and a decent rest but would never shoot at a deer that far . may try 50 if its a monster .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Next time I shoot will tell me a lot. I haven't had the opportunity in a week. We will see if I gained any muscle memory.