Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is an acceptable group to you?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not much to add here, heck I haven't shot a single arrow yet this summer. Normally when I do I shoot 3 arrows at a time max. at any range. Number your arrows and keep an eye on stragglers that stray away from others especially when the shot felt good.
Arrows are numbered. Great idea for anyone who hasn't thought of it though.

rsmith

Everyone is different. Some very picky expecting arrows touching. Some satisfied with 6" groups.

I need to determine if I am being overly picky or if my doubts are valid.

Currently- if season began tomorrow I wouldn't shoot past 30yds. I am shooting out to 60yds. I have put together some good groups. They are not consistent enough at 50 or 60yds to be confident. I am confident in my 40yd groups but will not shoot that far on a live animal because the extra factors need to be considered.

Here are my 40 and 50yds groups. Not my best. Just one 6 shot group at 40 and a 12 shot group at 50yds. Light was fading and I was getting tired. These are my "average" groups. I put them out knowing I may be commended or I may be flamed. In my eyes they are just "okay."

I would deffinatly try and cut down the amount of arrows you are shooting per grouping. Shoot 3 arrows and make sure to take your time with those 3. Really focus on your form and executing the shot. Aim small miss small is another great thing to do. Get a couple small colored stickers and put them on the target and try shooting at those as well. As far as shooting far out at 50, 60 or beyond I found a couple things helped me out. A longer stabilizer really helped me out with stabilizing and holding stead at the farther distances. I went from a 3 inch, to a 6, and now I'm at a 8 with a quick disconnect which makes it 9 inches and with some more weight up front it it is a world of difference. Maybe try out some different stabilizer and see if that helps and also cut down the amount of arrows per group you shoot to 3 and see how things improve.

As for acceptable groups I make sure that my consistent grouping is 2.5 to 3 inches or less and I will call that my killing range.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One other question- 3" group? Do you guys consider a 3" group any arrow within 3" of your intended aiming dot or point? Essentially a 3" radius or 6" diameter around your dot?

Or do you consider it all arrows in a 3" circle like inside a pop can or something?

rsmith

One other question- 3" group? Do you guys consider a 3" group any arrow within 3" of your intended aiming dot or point? Essentially a 3" radius or 6" diameter around your dot?

Or do you consider it all arrows in a 3" circle like inside a pop can or something?
When I think 3 inch group I mean all 3 arrows are with in a 3 inch circle. So the diameter of the circle is 3 inches in total and the farthest the arrows can be away from center at max is 1.5", essentially the radius.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When I think 3 inch group I mean all 3 arrows are with in a 3 inch circle. So the diameter of the circle is 3 inches in total and the farthest the arrows can be away from center at max is 1.5", essentially the radius.
This...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
The NRA
The Ohio State Marching Band
TOO Outings
The Dallas Cowbow Cheerleaders

What? :smiley_beard:

(Psst Phil - good thread. The Brock thing is pure gold. Other nuggets too.)

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
My kill zone has always been what ever the size of the heart is I'm shooting at. When I can no longer put 3 arrows or rounds in that spot, I know my limit of distance. For example, my recurve distance is about 15 yards less than the compound.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shot again tonight. One arrow at a time. Sometimes 2 or 3 with breaks in between. BIG difference. One other thing I noticed is my #11 arrow keeps hitting to the left. Tossed it to the side and used the #6 arrow as my constant. #6 was money every shot. Now I need to compare with other arrows in the quiver. Might just be that some of the arrows are not shooting true. Derrrrrr. . . .That might make a difference. lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lots of good stuff here.

My practice looks like this. I shoot 3 arrows at a time when attempting a group for sighting in purposes. I take Beeners approach, 1" per 10 yards. And like the others, size of group is measured by diameter. I expect to routinely put 3 arrows in to a coffee cup at 40 yards and in. At 50, I expected to shoot 2 in the cup and drop a flyer. Beyond that, it's pie plate time and it's a focus on form. Once I'm sighted in, I do something to elevate my heart rate (run back from target or do some push ups) then shoot 1 arrow at my 3d target within 15 seconds. Once I turn that arrow loose, I shoot a 3 arrow group at a dot target taking my time to work on form and execution. I never shoot more than 4 arrows at one stop.

What's acceptable is what let's you sleep well at night IMO. To each his own.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Lots of good stuff here.

My practice looks like this. I shoot 3 arrows at a time when attempting a group for sighting in purposes. I take Beeners approach, 1" per 10 yards. And like the others, size of group is measured by diameter. I expect to routinely put 3 arrows in to a coffee cup at 40 yards and in. At 50, I expected to shoot 2 in the cup and drop a flyer. Beyond that, it's pie plate time and it's a focus on form. Once I'm sighted in, I do something to elevate my heart rate (run back from target or do some push ups) then shoot 1 arrow at my 3d target within 15 seconds. Once I turn that arrow loose, I shoot a 3 arrow group at a dot target taking my time to work on form and execution. I never shoot more than 4 arrows at one stop.

What's acceptable is what let's you sleep well at night IMO. To each his own.

Jesse last statement is so true. I shoot every day, almost all year round. Naturally I might be one of the worst shots out of all the guys on this website. However, I have worked, and practiced until my confidence was increased to where I feel like I am not even shooting at 20 yards, it feels like I am just doing what I do.

i like to end my day with shooting at 20 yards. I like to pin the SOB target at 20 yards, and leave with my head held high.

** I work from home often and I am blessed to be able to shoot off my porch out to 50 yards. I take a break mid morning shoot a group, take a lunch break shoot a few groups, at 5pm shoot a group or two. Do yard work, shoot a group. That type of practice has helped me tremendously.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Like Al, I too work from home when not traveling. I shoot groups throughout the day. My success as an archer comes from experience of repeating a form over and over until it becomes muscle memory, which I learned from being an athlete. In the same manner I can throw a baseball and hit you in the face without thinking about it, I can turn loose an arrow at 30 yards and in with deadly accuracy about any time I want. It's not something I take for granted and my equipment deserves most of the credit. But having executed that shot thousands of times doesn't hurt me any...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff. If anything, I am definitely shooting regularly. Year round? Ah, no. You win Al. lol

The other thing I did tonight a little differently seemed to help. I adjusted my release to where my finger is barely reaching it. It is a very light trigger. What it helped with tonight was focusing on my follow through because I used very little finger movement to trigger it. Before I had too much finger on it and was punching it while not always maintaining as consistent of follow through. I honestly believe my biggest hindrance is punching trigger and poor follow through. That is the only form thing I have had to work on this year. It has helped me be more consistent. Like anything, we can always find flaws. Some of the worlds greatest athletes stay on top of their game because they are always trying to improve. They are always their own worst critic. Since i am nowhere close to world class anything, i can find plenty to improve on. lmao

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
What brand release do you shoot with Phil? I have a Scott and love it. The trigger is super sensitive, you just touch it and Bam!!!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Just curious. I had some in the past that were like you mentioned the trigger was stiff and when I went to the "Hair Trigger" I shot better. I also will take my arrows and put the point of the broad head resting on my palm and spin them TOO see if I get a wobble as just a quick check. If I do I set them aside. I shoot Easton ACC's so I don't have much problems with those.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For anyone here who has never learned to shoot with a back tension release (or back tension technique) you should really look in to this. Or maybe we could share that here. Hmmm...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I tried a back tension once. I think it was a used Carter that I bought for $40 at the Americas Best bowstrings shop. Never did get the hang of it so I sold it.