Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead recommendation, what are you shooting?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
They come in like 50 or more to a pack.... Helps you focus on a smaller target... Used to work for me....
Preciate that, I'll get some today. If Walmart has any. Might as well get some .50 cent Apple pies while I'm there also.

rsmith

Gottcha! Thanks! I remember seeing those online on lancaster when looking a couple years ago. Another idea for the small sticker is since you have one of those black block targets if it has a side with just all black on it put that orange sticker on that side so it really sticks out and makes you focus more on it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll just spray paint over one of the white circles on the side. Damn Mathews blows right through that piece of shit if I turn it the other way.

rsmith

Well, a little update on the broadhead situation I have going on. First off muzzy hasn't gotten back to me yet on the broadheads so I'm not holding my breath with that. Secondly I ordered some slick tricks off a local dealer on eBay that I have ordered stuff from before. I got the package yesterday and when I opened it there were not slick tricks to be found, instead there was a pack of QAD Exodus full blade and a note that said, sorry miscounted my inventory and I don't have any slick tricks left. I hope these work out for you and if not please return and I will get you some slick tricks asap. So I guess fate decided for me on what heads to shoot. The blades are a lot thicker, sharper, and built better than my trocars. I screwed them onto 3 arrows and they all spun like tops when I spun them. The blades don't move at all when I grab them and try to wiggle them which is awesome as well. I can't wait to get out and see how they fly, now all I need is a nice cloudy day with no wind and I will see how they fly.

Last edited:

rsmith

Well another update for you guys on my quest for the best flying fixed blade broadhead. I got out today after class and figured since it was a nice day with little wind I would try these Exodus out and see how they fly. Well this was at 70 yards. Proof is in the pudding. Field tip accuracy without messing with my rest or sights at all. They also penetrated deeper than the trocars. The farthest one was just at 14 inches of penetration through a thick piece of foam and my black hole target. They do seem a smidge low which I am going to go to the shop tomorrow and have him refletch a couple of my practice arrows and while he's doing that I'll paper tune and see if there is a small nock high tear I'm getting. If so I will make a micro adjustment and see from there but I'm so happy with how these flew.

rsmith

I used to be a rage basher. I will shoot them until I start missing every deer I shoot at then I will have to find another broadhead.
I have nothing against mechanical broadheads. I think they have there own nitch in the hunting market just like fixed blade broadheads do along with hundreds of other accessories bowhunters can use. Mechanicals get a bad rep at times for numerous reasons, just like how some hunters hate fixed blade broadheads because they think they are too small of a cut or just aren't as consistent as a mechanical broadhead is in flight. It's just all about personal preference and I have been very curious as to using the hypodermics with my setup or using some other expandable heads. But, for my setup and how far of a shot I have to take is 35 yards max, I know that I can get my fixed blade broadheads flying accurate and know that they will do the job adequately for me. It's like the "Ford vs Chevy" debate, it's all what you have confidence in and gets the job done for you. If I do find a pack of the hypodermics cheap enough I will no doubt get them and see how they fly as well.

I have nothing against mechanical broadheads. I think they have there own nitch in the hunting market just like fixed blade broadheads do along with hundreds of other accessories bowhunters can use. Mechanicals get a bad rep at times for numerous reasons, just like how some hunters hate fixed blade broadheads because they think they are too small of a cut or just aren't as consistent as a mechanical broadhead is in flight. It's just all about personal preference and I have been very curious as to using the hypodermics with my setup or using some other expandable heads. But, for my setup and how far of a shot I have to take is 35 yards max, I know that I can get my fixed blade broadheads flying accurate and know that they will do the job adequately for me. It's like the "Ford vs Chevy" debate, it's all what you have confidence in and gets the job done for you. If I do find a pack of the hypodermics cheap enough I will no doubt get them and see how they fly as well.
very well put. I used to be a die hard 100 grain muzzy fan but I will be the first to tell you I'm not a perfect shot. I lost 2 deer back to back due to shots being a tad far back. In no way was it the broadhead but having a larger cut could have possibly kept those creatures from going to waste. I switched to the rage extreme for the hole and have been very impressed. I know alot of people have problems hitting bone but I have no complaint. Alot of it has to do with your setup tho. I shoot a hoyt crx35 at 72 lbs and 31 inch draw. I have alot of energy pushing any kind of head. Couldn't have put it better with the Ford vs Chevy as far as broadheads. I shoot what I have confidence in and I am confident with what I shoot. End of statement

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just don't hit the shoulder blade, trust me. I'm shooting a 32 inch draw, 72lb Mathews monster MR8, no penetration at all on the shoulder bone.