Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead recommendation, what are you shooting?

rsmith

Tact up another one for Slick tricks, wow. And that's what it's all about it mental confidence in your gear. Thanks for the input!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
I understand what you guys are saying. As I mentioned to teenbowhunter the blades on the broadhead are loose for whatever reason and I just don't trust them. I was just trying to figure out what everyone was shooting this year and maybe bounce some ideas around with others about there broadheads they shoot and if any of them have shot the heads I was considering. That's all. But thanks I practice a lot and am working on tweaking my form little by little now. I was battling target panic for about a year and a half and I found a routine that worked for me and stuck with it. This year I have tried to push my comfort zone with long distance shooting and it has paid off ten fold for my close range shots. But I still have a lot of work to do starting with my follow through after the shot. Didbt realize how bad it was till filming myself haha

One thing you can do if you are really trying to be perfect is make sure that all of your arrows are identical (spin perfectly, all the spine shit that people do and all that) but that's pretty unnecessary imo at least just for hunting scenarios. With the trocars you can twist them to varying degrees because of the ring so I always have them lined up perfectly with my vanes but I'm guessing you already do that.

rsmith

One thing you can do if you are really trying to be perfect is make sure that all of your arrows are identical (spin perfectly, all the spine shit that people do and all that) but that's pretty unnecessary imo at least just for hunting scenarios. With the trocars you can twist them to varying degrees because of the ring so I always have them lined up perfectly with my vanes but I'm guessing you already do that.
I have seen John Dudley do that and as much as I would like to do that the local shop doesn't have one unfortunately. But I do index all my broadhead blades with the fletchings, but it might be had to do that with a 4 blade and only 3 vanes when testing out the slick tricks hahah

rsmith

What are you going to do when you miss the first deer you shoot at this year? lmao
Hahaha sell everything. Last year was pretty hard for me as I didn't see much and when I did I couldn't get a good shot off. And the year before I missed the buck of a lifetime so I think that's why I'm obsessing so much about getting as close to perfect as I can so if the opportunity presents itself with a deer in range I can know without a doubt it will go down.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck out there. As someone who has killed a deer via a long range bomb (51 Yards) I won't do it again despite being capable of it. Even with modern equipment and all the practice in the world, shit happens and its more likely to happen at extended range. What that range is, that's for you to decide. For me, it is now 40 yards. But I missed a doe at 23 yards on the ground, so nothing is guaranteed. I went 14 seasons and 20+ deer before missing her on opening day and again on the last day of the season. Both time, she ducked the arrow. She humbled me that year and it didn't take a wounding to do so. Its not a matter of if, but when we'll mess up at the moment of truth and even when we execute, the deer can still have the last laugh...

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Went bow shooting today first time in awhile not too bad. IMG_20160827_173828.jpg Practiced shooting at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I would like to practice 40 more often to make clean shot

rsmith

Went bow shooting today first time in awhile not too bad.View attachment 47203 Practiced shooting at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I would like to practice 40 more often to make clean shot
Very nice! There is always that one arrows that doesn't want to cooperate with the rest Hahah. Practicing at the farther distances is nice cause it makes you focus on everything a little bit more. Got out yesterday and shot the walk through course at Punderson state park and it was nice practice shooting in the woods at yardage from 10 yards to 80 yards and different angles. Anyone looking to work on there skills should deffinatly go there and shoot it's lots of fun.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Very nice! There is always that one arrows that doesn't want to cooperate with the rest Hahah. Practicing at the farther distances is nice cause it makes you focus on everything a little bit more. Got out yesterday and shot the walk through course at Punderson state park and it was nice practice shooting in the woods at yardage from 10 yards to 80 yards and different angles. Anyone looking to work on there skills should deffinatly go there and shoot it's lots of fun.

Lol yeah always that one arrow. ...i always get that twitch in the arm once in awhile for no reason at all, lol. Practice, practice, and practice os what im gonna do. Hows your shooting going

rsmith

Lol yeah always that one arrow. ...i always get that twitch in the arm once in awhile for no reason at all, lol. Practice, practice, and practice os what im gonna do. Hows your shooting going
Just got to let down and recuperate when that happens and that twitch will stop. Its all about letting down when the shot doesn't feel good and resituating, small amounts of good practice beats a lot of bad practice. My shooting is going good. Shot some amazing groups yesterday really pushed myself to get out of my comfort zone and shoot at 100 and shot a really nice group. Then through the course I only missed a 3 inch circle a couple times on some of the uphill shots but practice makes perfect on those. Just got to remember bend at the waist and not drop of raise the arm and it's money.