Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead recommendation, what are you shooting?

rsmith

Okay I know you guys are going to call BS and say that the video Broke because I shot two different groups which I understand. The fact of the matter is I do shoot very well at 70 yards. Here are the videos again I apologize for them being split up into two separate groups butt I do shoot pretty well.

rsmith

Okay, taptalk app keeps freezing up when trying to upload the videos so I'm uploading them to YouTube. I will post the link when they are done. Again I'm not saying I am a pro by any means and I did shoot 2 warm up groups, but for any of you that shoot know shooting with a camera filming you does bump up your nerves a little and adds some pressure. I'm not trying to start anything here by saying I shoot a 4-5inch group at 70 yards but I did want to prove a point so thanks for calling me out and forcing me to push myself out of my comfort zone by filming myself shoot.

rsmith

And also just to help out the naysayers here is a screen shot with it zoomed in on the red circle at the time in the video of 2:49 right before it cuts at 2:50. As you can see the arrows are in the same exact spot as they were in part 2 at 5 and 9 o'clock, they are the white blobs in the picture. The arrows are at different depth too due to me having a bag behind that foam that is shot out,in the center that's why the arrow to the right and left are out farther then the center.

rsmith

If you're concerned with a 4-5" BH grouping @ 70 yards, just zip it... lmao
Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about that kind of group at that yardage but the broadheads were about a 5.5-6.5 grouping at that yardage with the drt's and the trocars. Not saying it wasn't user error but my field points group about a inch tighter then that was was looking to see if there were any other options that may group better.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
To clarify, I never said you didn't or couldn't, so don't let that bruise your confidence. What I'm saying is complaining about that group at that distance is like complaining about screwing your Victoria Secrets model wife every night. It's unrelated to most folks and by far, more than adequate.

rsmith

To clarify, I never said you didn't or couldn't, so don't let that bruise your confidence. What I'm saying is complaining about that group at that distance is like complaining about screwing your Victoria Secrets model wife every night. It's unrelated to most folks and by far, more than adequate.
I didn't take it that you said I couldn't, I saw the words take a video and said screw it I ain't got nothing to do till work so I did just to back myself up a little that I'm it some guy blowing smoke about my shooting. I get what you are saying though it does seem a bit obserd to obsess about shooting groups like that at that yardage, but I'm just trying to find something to do before the season really and what better then to find the best flying broadhead for my setup?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I didn't take it that you said I couldn't, I saw the words take a video and said screw it I ain't got nothing to do till work so I did just to back myself up a little that I'm it some guy blowing smoke about my shooting. I get what you are saying though it does seem a bit obserd to obsess about shooting groups like that at that yardage, but I'm just trying to find something to do before the season really and what better then to find the best flying broadhead for my setup?
The "slop" at that distance is all you and the tuning. Not the broadhead.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Mechanicals are illegal out here and I hate it lol. Broadheads tuning is frustrating because I can never get them the same as field points. I understand your frustration haha

rsmith

Mechanicals are illegal out here and I hate it lol. Broadheads tuning is frustrating because I can never get them the same as field points. I understand your frustration haha
No, they are look when the broadhead is off and on the arrow, almost like the blades aren't thick enough for the gap in the ferrel so they are moving side to side and up and down. I contacted muzzy about the problem and they said to send them in and they will look at them and see what they can do as far as a refund goes.

It's a art to get them to fly exactly with your field points, which is what I'm working on doing but I may just have to keep trying till I find something that works for me

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ok good shooting bud.

1. I never was calling you out, nor do I think anyone was? (I did make a joke about Milo saying GO PRO as I thought it was a funny pun).
2. You are saying you are not happy with a BH cause it feels a bit loose and you want to be honorable to the animal, however you are willing to shoot a deer at 70 yards?
3. You clearly have put in your practice. Buy slick tricks, shoot them out to 40-50 yards and go kill a deer in 29 days at 15 steps.
4. I am all for practicing at long distances but worrying about a 5inch group at 70 yards for whitetails is crazy. The amount of variables that go into that shot is astronomical. Like Jesse and others have stated above.

If the BH from Muzzy were flawed I am sure they will take care of them. It is a great company.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The beard is looking nice.

Last night I shot a dozen at 60yds. Last dozen of 4 dozen arrows shot. I knew fatigue was setting in. My dozen hit within a 14" area. At 50 the night before I had them in a 10" area. I claim to NOT be the best shot. I was not ecstatic but content for the time. I use the longer ranges to magnify my flaws and then work on them. Shooting a deer at 40 has to be ideal for me. Situations perfect, deer calm, me in top form. When my bow is tuned right, the field points and broad heads fly tell same. As with anything, the more I practice in various conditions and at different ranges, the tighter my groups get. I started shooting again last week. Good luck Ryan. I think the only flaw here is one you are creating. Just my opinion, but I think you are looking too hard at yourself given the distance.

Nice garden too. Lol

rsmith

ok good shooting bud.

1. I never was calling you out, nor do I think anyone was? (I did make a joke about Milo saying GO PRO as I thought it was a funny pun).
2. You are saying you are not happy with a BH cause it feels a bit loose and you want to be honorable to the animal, however you are willing to shoot a deer at 70 yards?
3. You clearly have put in your practice. Buy slick tricks, shoot them out to 40-50 yards and go kill a deer in 29 days at 15 steps.
4. I am all for practicing at long distances but worrying about a 5inch group at 70 yards for whitetails is crazy. The amount of variables that go into that shot is astronomical. Like Jesse and others have stated above.

If the BH from Muzzy were flawed I am sure they will take care of them. It is a great company.
Thank you
1) It was a pretty clever pun and I did laugh at it, but I also took it as a call out and felt the need to back myself up to prove I'm not just some guy saying I shoot good, so I figured I would just prove it.
2) I would not take a deer at 70 yards and I stated that before as well. My bow shoots to slow and there are a million and one variables that go into factor when shooting a animal at that distance that I just don't feel comfortable, with my ability right now, to ethically take a living creature at that yardage.
3) I am leaning more and more towards the slick tricks as a lot of you guys seem to be fans of them.
4) already answered in number 2

And as far as the muzzys go I'm getting them in the mail today so hopefully they will take a look and see what they think went wrong with them and let me know since I have 2 packs of them and 5 of the 6 of them do the same thing.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just my two cents Ryan.

You can't or won't get much better groups like you are now at 70 yards so why spend more money? Unless you're unhappy with the BH performance as far as penetration or blood spilling I'd stick with what you have.

Me personally, if I can shoot 2-3" groups in and around the bullseye out to 40 yards on a consistent basis and I'm satisfied with how it performs after going thru a deers chest cavity then my mind is already made up. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think what some are trying to say is, they'd be very satisfied if they were dialed in like you are now so why change BH's? I know I would be! I haven't even tried shooting out past 40 yet! rotflmao

Great shooting BTW

Last edited:

rsmith

Just my two cents Ryan.

You can't or won't get much better groups like you are now at 70 yards so why spend more money? Unless you're unhappy with the BH performance as far as penetration or blood spilling I'd stick with what you have.

Me personally, if I can shoot 2-3" groups in and around the bullseye out to 40 yards on a consistent basis and I'm satisfied with how it performs after going thru a deers chest cavity then my mind is already made up. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think what some are trying to say is, they'd be very satisfied if they were dialed in like you are now so why change BH's? I know I would be! I haven't even tried shooting out past 40 yet! rotflmao

Great shooting BTW
I understand what you guys are saying. As I mentioned to teenbowhunter the blades on the broadhead are loose for whatever reason and I just don't trust them. I was just trying to figure out what everyone was shooting this year and maybe bounce some ideas around with others about there broadheads they shoot and if any of them have shot the heads I was considering. That's all. But thanks I practice a lot and am working on tweaking my form little by little now. I was battling target panic for about a year and a half and I found a routine that worked for me and stuck with it. This year I have tried to push my comfort zone with long distance shooting and it has paid off ten fold for my close range shots. But I still have a lot of work to do starting with my follow through after the shot. Didbt realize how bad it was till filming myself haha

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Gotcha! I've gotten great arrow flight and grouping out of my Mattews Drenlin LD with 100 grain Rages and Mag 100 Slick Tricks. Switched from the Rages to the SS just because I have less chance of error with the fixed head if I graze a bone or take a quartering shot. Whether or not either of these situations really cause mechanical BH error it gives me more confidence and peace of mind until they fail me.

Good luck in your search.