Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead recommendation, what are you shooting?

rsmith

Well as I didnt want to hijack the arrow thread I figured I would start my own. I have been looking at new broadheads for this year as I just dont feel comfortable with the heads I have right now for whatever reason. I have Easton Injexion arrows weighing in around 425 grains, but I am forced to shoot deep six only heads which limits my options in broadheads. I currently have muzzy trocars on my arrows but after getting out and shooting them I just don't feel 100% confident with there flight consistency. I have tried Ramcats and although they flew exactly like my field point out to 80, the tips of the blades caught on my quiver and bent every tip that came in contact with the quiver so I got rid of those. I have shot DRT's and those just didnt like to group well either. I was looking at a fixed blade broadhead to maximize my penetration and because I just don't 100% trust mechanical broadheads. I was looking at either NAP thunderhead razors which look like a great head, strickland helix, qad exodus, wasp drone, or slick tricks. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these heads and if so how did they perform for you?

scoutinlife

Not much help on the choices personally fixed I shoot either G5 striker or montec also a fan of rage chisel tips 2 blade .

jlane

dunn nc
slick-tricks,they fly like field tips.
Been using them for the last six years,
I don't care for machanical,(murphy's law if it can go wrong it probally will for me) I know some guys swear by them,
You just got to try and find what works for you and get comfortable with your choice

at1010

*Supporting Member*
work with someone like MILO on tuning your bow/heads. Sounds like that is your issue.

Slick tricks tend to fly fantastic and our the top fixed head choice I have seen around the net.

I've shot rage 2 blades for the past 4 season without any failures. However, I just bought some ramcats. I've heard nothing but good things about them however I have not shot them as of yet and now I'm hoping I don't have the same problem with my quiver :smiley_chinrub:

rsmith

And when I say I don't like the flight of the trocars or DRT's, I mean at 70 yards they are with in a 5.5 inch group, which most will be very happy but I know I shoot about a 4.5 inch group with my field points so I'm striving to find that perfect combination. Will I ever shoot a deer at 70, most likely never, but if I know my arrows with broadheads shoot the same size group as my field points at 70 then I know I won't have to worry about them being off by much if any at 30.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have killed deer with Slicktrick and Muzzy using compound bow. My son killed his first last year with crossbow and used G5s. Broke the tip off one of the ends. That was enough for me. Although it did a nice job, that bothers me. Montecs is what I believe they were.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
And when I say I don't like the flight of the trocars or DRT's, I mean at 70 yards they are with in a 5.5 inch group, which most will be very happy but I know I shoot about a 4.5 inch group with my field points so I'm striving to find that perfect combination. Will I ever shoot a deer at 70, most likely never, but if I know my arrows with broadheads shoot the same size group as my field points at 70 then I know I won't have to worry about them being off by much if any at 30.

So how are they shooting at 30 yards?

rsmith

They shoot right on at 30, my problem with the trocars is that the blades are not tight to the ferrule which makes me worry about reliability and durability of the head. What I mean is if you grab one of the blades and try and move it it moves left and right and up and down and they are as tight as I can get them with the set screw and that's after taking them out and replacing them with new blades. It may be a little thing but I strive for perfection when it comes to hunting especially because I will be using it to kill a animal. I was just looking for options on broadheads that others may use or have had success with and trust.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
They shoot right on at 30, my problem with the trocars is that the blades are not tight to the ferrule which makes me worry about reliability and durability of the head. What I mean is if you grab one of the blades and try and move it it moves left and right and up and down and they are as tight as I can get them with the set screw and that's after taking them out and replacing them with new blades. It may be a little thing but I strive for perfection when it comes to hunting especially because I will be using it to kill a animal. I was just looking for options on broadheads that others may use or have had success with and trust.

Hmm I have killed deer with muzzy no issues. Mx3 I think I used. I like slick tricks. Give them a shot.

Also I am not an expert but I wouldn't worry to much about a 70yrd group with bh. If you are shooting a 4-5 inch group at that yardage there are a lot of variables that are causing that. I would however make sure they are not dropping off the table at 50 yards say.

Hopefully milo can chime in with some extra advice.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hmm I have killed deer with muzzy no issues. Mx3 I think I used. I like slick tricks. Give them a shot.

Also I am not an expert but I wouldn't worry to much about a 70yrd group with bh. If you are shooting a 4-5 inch group at that yardage there are a lot of variables that are causing that. I would however make sure they are not dropping off the table at 50 yards say.

Hopefully milo can chime in with some extra advice.
go pro...