Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bolt and broadhead recommendation for high speed xbow

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I recently bought my daughter a Killer Instinct Machine and it has an IBO around 380fps. My dad shoots a Solution LS which is the 380+ range model. I am very limited knowledge wise when it come to crossbows. Both crossbows need bolts. What would you guys recommend for a high speed bolt/broadhead combo? Going to be used solely to deer hunt. I would like to use a fixed blade, would you recommend that for such fast bows or should I stick to expandables What grain would likely fly best? Thanks in advance.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I had a Barnett that shot 375fps and used the Barnett bolts with Rage heads. I couldn't personally find a fixed head that shot well.
I now shoot a 410fps xbow with the Barnett bolts and Grim reaper heads.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If it is shooting straight no reason that it can't shoot a fixed blade. I would recommend the QAD Exodus. Really tough heads.

Xbow is more up on bolts available now. If I were buying I would ask him but would be leaning toward Black Eagle Arrows version. Friend of mines fly great.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Your going to have to know what bolt nick end you need first and then go from there. Some Xbows are flat and others need the half moon

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yes, follow your xbows recommendation for nocks. Some will void your warranty as far as that goes. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it). With that being said: I have shot flat, half moon and omni out of all different bows. They seemed to work fine wherever I put them.
I do like the Black Eagle Arrows. The Executioner line and the Zombie Killer line have worked fine for me. Carbon is all I buy anymore. I use Blazer vanes when possible or re-fletch with Blazer.
My own personal preference is mechanical. I shoot the Rage Hypodermic (probably knock-offs) from China. $24.59 for 20 broadheads now. I have had great results with Spitfire and Grim Reapers also. Different bows say different things, but I shoot 100 gr. and have for years.

I have not shot or been around this crossbow Marcus. I would think first off it would be like the others (Myself I swear by Tenpoint and Parker but just my preference). Your results may vary but I'd bet not by much. Hope this helps and turns out good for you and your daughter.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yes, follow your xbows recommendation for nocks. Some will void your warranty as far as that goes. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it). With that being said: I have shot flat, half moon and omni out of all different bows. They seemed to work fine wherever I put them.
I do like the Black Eagle Arrows. The Executioner line and the Zombie Killer line have worked fine for me. Carbon is all I buy anymore. I use Blazer vanes when possible or re-fletch with Blazer.
My own personal preference is mechanical. I shoot the Rage Hypodermic (probably knock-offs) from China. $24.59 for 20 broadheads now. I have had great results with Spitfire and Grim Reapers also. Different bows say different things, but I shoot 100 gr. and have for years.

I have not shot or been around this crossbow Marcus. I would think first off it would be like the others (Myself I swear by Tenpoint and Parker but just my preference). Your results may vary but I'd bet not by much. Hope this helps and turns out good for you and your daughter.
I purchased those Hypo knock-offs for shits and giggles. All of them spun horribly. Hopefully mine was just a case of someone not getting their rice ration that day.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I purchased those Hypo knock-offs for shits and giggles. All of them spun horribly. Hopefully mine was just a case of someone not getting their rice ration that day.

rotflmao

These guys no their shit about xbows Marcus so you're in good hands! I know nothing but GOOD LUCK to you guys this year buddy!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

Now you got me wondering.... Have not spun the last batch that I got. I hope your right about a bad batch.

I just spun 5 out of the 24 I just got in....They are fine... Gonna spin the rest before use.

Last edited:

Mao

Coshocton, OH
The couple arrows that came with the kit are moon nocks and 20". I think I will stick with those nocks and length. Going to go with the Executioners. They came with dads bow and Layla shot them last year. Just wanted to make sure we weren't missing out on anything or something that would work better. Thanks for the input fellas!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The couple arrows that came with the kit are moon nocks and 20". I think I will stick with those nocks and length. Going to go with the Executioners. They came with dads bow and Layla shot them last year. Just wanted to make sure we weren't missing out on anything or something that would work better. Thanks for the input fellas!

Looks like a real nice bow. Will be interested in hearing what you think after you get it broke-in. Good Luck!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I have always bought tenpoint arrows for my tenpoint crossbow. I've had good results with slick tricks and muzzy broadheads but shot a deer with rage last year and there was blood everywhere. Ended up buying rages again this year.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I have always bought tenpoint arrows for my tenpoint crossbow. I've had good results with slick tricks and muzzy broadheads but shot a deer with rage last year and there was blood everywhere. Ended up buying rages again this year.

My dad and I have shot Rage 2 blades for years. Last year on opening day my daughter hit a real nice buck square in the shoulder and got zero penetration. That has gotten me wanting to try a fixed blade.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
My dad and I have shot Rage 2 blades for years. Last year on opening day my daughter hit a real nice buck square in the shoulder and got zero penetration. That has gotten me wanting to try a fixed blade.

What model Rage was this one Marcus?
And what are your thoughts on the Killer Instinct Machine? Been thinking hard on this one.