Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Habitat Work

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looking good man. Are you planning to use the water tank to water the plot if you hit a dry spell?

Looking good man. Are you planning to use the water tank to water the plot if you hit a dry spell?

I guess I could, but didn't really think of that use. I put this one in as this spring is only about 75 yards from the camper. We take water for drinking and washing up, but figure we could use this for dog water, cleaning, etc. Could also boil and use for drinking water in a pinch. Also hoping the critters will get some use out of it

Went down to camp this weekend. Didn't do a ton of work, but we did get a platform built to put a Redneck Soft Side Blind on later this summer. Looks like there could be a little clover starting to pop thru the ground, but hard to tell. We also moved another platform to the other plot to put a portable blind (forgot to take pic of this one). Also put in another water tub, and I thought I took a pic, but don't see one on my phone. Maybe I deleted it?

We also did a little fishing, but that wasn't productive at all. The flooding down in Washington County a few weeks ago really changed the look of the stream.

Well the clover is coming in decently. Good in some areas, poor in others. Lots of weeds everywhere, but that was expected. I mowed it a couple of weeks ago. Hoping if I can keep it trimmed up this summer, the weeds will start to go away. Going to be difficult since we are going to be building a small cabin as well.

Well. We got the trees removed this weekend from the food plot. Was hoping to hunt on Sunday, but my son started getting a sore throat so we came home tonight.

First Plot.

Before

3111B3EE-4DE8-41F8-B639-2A54991DAFFC_zpswwmd2ukw by cspot12, on Flickr

After. We will take the JD Gator down to get the logs in better weather. This plot is easy enough to get to we can use the wood for the wood stove. The one tree that is left on the left is an oak, so it stayed.
Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

Second Plot
Before
7CFBCE6E-68FF-44C1-BA95-8410CAF599B8_zpsjrjnhzzr by cspot12, on Flickr

After trees were knocked down.

After cleanup

at1010

*Supporting Member*
looks great buddy!

Better plots for deer and hunting - check
wood for wood stove - check

Id say that is a success!

Well we finally got a productive weekend in. Thankfully without rain for a few days the ground was somewhat dry so I took the JD Gator down to help with hauling. First we got a 1/2 ton of pelletized lime and spread between the 2 plots. Then we got the firewood hauled out of the plot and back to camp. The firewood in the 2nd pic will probably stay there as it is too hard to get the Gator back there to haul it. Still need to split it, but that can be done later. Then we got the posts in and braced for a tree stand. Had 2 of the kids with me and we were able to accomplish this all on Saturday. Today we managed to get some siding hung on the cabin as well. Hopefully the weather will stay decent for some more weekend work.