Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Habitat Work

The plot is definitely looking better. The winter rye is doing well and based upon the trail cam pics the deer are hammering it. Here is a couple of pics that I took while hunting out of the blind on Sunday morning. Unfortunately I didn't see a deer. The clover also is starting to come thru the ground.

Well got some of the stuff done on my list for the year. Got the plot we did last summer expanded out to where I wanted to go with it. Probably about 1/3 of an acre now. Once that was done I found an awesome spot that I am going to put a Redneck BLind in about 6' high or so off the ground. Also got the other plot that is located on a hogback in a hollow. It is probably a 1/4 acre or so. Both plots have some trees that I will end up removing in the next couple of years, but since this was timbered a few years ago the canopies aren't big so there will still be plenty of sun hitting the ground. Alot of blood and sweat went into cleaning these spots up as it was thick with saplings, briars, and tree tops.

Old Plot Expansion.

New Plot

Last edited:
Went down to camp yesterday and today with the oldest daughter, but we didn't hunt. Got alot of brush cut along the logging roads and now we have all the places cleared that I wanted to get done this winter.. We did see alot of deer sign, but no shed antlers. We also took down the burlap, seat cushions, and lifelines off the treestands. Bought a bag of trace mineral salt and got a mineral site setup today. Hoping in a few weeks to get some lime spread and frost-seed some clover. We have gotten a good bit of work completed already this winter. Glad the brush cutting is done as that is some nasty work when doing it by hand. Sorry didn't take any pics today.

Ok. I took some pics this weekend. We spent most of the weekend relaxing and hanging out at camp, but we did manage to get the lime spread on both plots and got them seeded. I plan on getting some fertilizer on them this Spring when the clover starts going. With 5 of us working on it, we had it done quickly.

We also dug out the one spot and put in a 40 gallon water tank to hold some water. I plan on catching the water up above eventually and feed this with a pipe. It was filled up a few hours later and I took this pic the next morning.

Also took a pic of one of the trails we widened out a couple weeks ago.