Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Morgan/Perry/Athens Acorns

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
That's NUTS! rotflmao (Nuts - get it?)

Hey Tiff, sorry I'm not from down that way, can't say - my place is down in Adams and I'll be going down to check out in a couple of weeks.
Can't honestly say that I got the eye to gauge it from year to year - but I remember not long ago one year the acorns were so thick on the ground that it was like walking on marbles - I got a pic somewhere of acorns laying in a little wash on a hillside 2" deep - hell, the deer didn't even have to move, they'd just lay under an oak and they'd fall in their mouths. I hope we have a good year, but not too good.

Don't worry about this crowd - they ain't so tuff. Giles' old lady is tougher than him.

Can we knock off the bullshit and talk acorns?
Does anyone else remember what year I'm talking about? maybe 2011 or 2012?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
2010 was a banner year for acorns....2012 came close to that. (This has to be the truth I just read it on the internet....lmao)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jesus guys. Can we not hijack every thread right off the bat with shenanigans. Or maybe wait until people have positively contributed first.

tiffs17

Jesus guys. Can we not hijack every thread right off the bat with shenanigans. Or maybe wait until people have positively contributed first.

Ok, I am from the state up North that ua might hate. I do only go down to your wonderful state once a year for a week. I wish I could go more but family time gets in the way. The reason I am asking for your help is I willake plans at a secondary spot depending on acorns. I know our area and what factors acorns play. If I knew last year was a bust for Nuts, we would have went somewhere else. And maybe I should clarify, all relevant replies are appreciated, ha, ha!

tiffs17

Every other year we have done well. Other odd years have been busts. As you might tell with this thread, every other year has been a good Acorn crop. So, this is an even year so it should be awesome again. :) Best year was in '14, 4 of us. Got a 10, 9 and an 8. All mature bucks. One that didnt score missed a huge one on last night. Last year was awful. I seen about 4 deer from stand for 7 days of hard hunting. We got 1 buck but my buddy shouldnt have shot it. Wasnt mature and got trigger happy. '12, year of the hurrican was phenomenal hunting in the rain, I missed a monster but got a real nice 9pt

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Every other year we have done well. Other odd years have been busts. As you might tell with this thread, every other year has been a good Acorn crop. So, this is an even year so it should be awesome again. :) Best year was in '14, 4 of us. Got a 10, 9 and an 8. All mature bucks. One that didnt score missed a huge one on last night. Last year was awful. I seen about 4 deer from stand for 7 days of hard hunting. We got 1 buck but my buddy shouldnt have shot it. Wasnt mature and got trigger happy. '12, year of the hurrican was phenomenal hunting in the rain, I missed a monster but got a real nice 9pt
Got any pics?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad we didn't scare you off Tiffs17. Hope you have another successful season. I'm no help on the acorn info for that area. I am NW Ohio and crop rotation has a bigger impact for us than acorns.