Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Safety Harness

Jamie

Ohio
lightweight, not bulky, easy on, easy off, easy to adjust. I've only had two harnesses in the last 15 years. I bought a Loggy Bayou because it was the most slender one on the market at the time. I replaced it last year with a Tree Spider micro speed harness, and I like the buckles and adjustments very much. Muddy makes some like this, probably others. for me, in the spirit of mobility and freedom of movement, less is more when it comes to a harness.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
One that's comfortable! Mine is just a $40 big game harness I got at Menard's.
Word. If it's not comfortable, you are less likely to not use or right, or worse, not wear it at all.

I've been using a Muddy safeguard harness for years, but I think it's time to replace it. Not sure of I'll go with another one of those or try something different.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have Hunters Safety Systems harness. It is the vest style with all the pockets. I like it having all the extra pockets. Helps keep me from carrying in a backpack.

Bigcountry40

Let me ask a question, I have never wore a safety harness. When climbing into a ladder stand or sticks, the hunter doesn't attach the harness to the rope line until you are in the stand or at the top, same would apply for a self climber right? I feel like the most dangerous of getting in or out of a stand is the climb up and down. So the only time your really protected is when your sitting in the stand correct or wrong?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Let me ask a question, I have never wore a safety harness. When climbing into a ladder stand or sticks, the hunter doesn't attach the harness to the rope line until you are in the stand or at the top, same would apply for a self climber right? I feel like the most dangerous of getting in or out of a stand is the climb up and down. So the only time your really protected is when your sitting in the stand correct or wrong?
I use a rope style harness strap that goes around the tree, HSS makes it. It has a prussic knot so if I'm in my climber I can stay attached all the way up and down. I bought lifelines this year so I'll be good to go out of my stands. Get a fuggin saftey harness man.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Jon get a harness man.

I am still using just an upper torso one from my climber purchase 10+ yrs ago and need to upgrade. This is a great thread with lots of good recommendations.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I also use a muddy. Incredibly easy to put on compared to the confusing ball of straps that come with a stand.
IMO, there is NO good reason not to use a harness. I feel I owe it to my family as well.

I use a rope style harness strap that goes around the tree, HSS makes it. It has a prussic knot so if I'm in my climber I can stay attached all the way up and down. I bought lifelines this year so I'll be good to go out of my stands. Get a fuggin saftey harness man.

I have lifelines on all my ladderstands. Tied off from the ground up.

I prefer the HSS Ultralite. I wear it under my coat, so that I then have all of my pockets in my coat available. Also cooler for early season hunts.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio

I have always used a harness but only in the stand. After last years event I now have lifelines for my stands to stay hooked up from the ground up. Trust me...falling alters your lifestyle.

Here is a reminder why all should wear a harness and use a lifeline. I am doing much better but still have moments of pain in my back and neck....still it could have and should have been much worse.

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?19621-Another-safety-reminder

Last edited:

brancher147

I switched to a rock climbing harness and will never go back. Ever try hanging from a hunter safety harness? If you do fall, a rock climbing harness is a lot more comfortable to hang in, and a lot easier to self rescue with. They are lighter and do not get in your way while hunting either. A lot easier for staying attached and moving up as you climb also. Just my opinion though...Plenty of info on you tube and the web if you are interested.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I switched to a rock climbing harness and will never go back. Ever try hanging from a hunter safety harness? If you do fall, a rock climbing harness is a lot more comfortable to hang in, and a lot easier to self rescue with. They are lighter and do not get in your way while hunting either. A lot easier for staying attached and moving up as you climb also. Just my opinion though...Plenty of info on you tube and the web if you are interested.

What model are you using brancher? I have a buddy that switched to a climbing harness a few years ago and he loves it.

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio

I've got a couple from stands I've purchased. Might not be the most comfortable but could be a lifesaver. Send me a PM with an address and it will be on the way to you.

Bigcountry40

I bought one today at menards just like chads i thinkI have about 100 cheap ones that came with stands. Just never used them because of hassle. Using one this ye