Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Transportation Research Center controlled hunt

callmin

Has anybody ever been on this controlled hunt? My buddy drew the muzzleloader hunt on January 7 and 8th so I was looking to get some insight on what we can expect. Looks like it should be a pretty good hunt with only 8 pairs of hunters allowed for the 2 days, and they allow you into your area to scout and hang stands on December 31st. I appreciate an info anyone can provide. Thanks

Flathead76

Athens
I bow hunted that area when they had bow hunting draws there. Think the last time that they did this was 2010. Anyways the areas that you will be hunting are not close to the factory. The land is slightly rolling and thick in areas. Not plumbrook thick though. The area had more bucks than does. Actually got selected to gun hunt there in 2011. Swapped the hunt for a gun hunt in Ottawa. Guy was from Lima and I was still in Toledo at the time. Worked out better for both of us. He ended up shooting a 6 point. It was the only deer that he saw that day. Have no idea why people put in for that one so much. They had like 3500 applications and drew 16 names.

callmin

I bow hunted that area when they had bow hunting draws there. Think the last time that they did this was 2010. Anyways the areas that you will be hunting are not close to the factory. The land is slightly rolling and thick in areas. Not plumbrook thick though. The area had more bucks than does. Actually got selected to gun hunt there in 2011. Swapped the hunt for a gun hunt in Ottawa. Guy was from Lima and I was still in Toledo at the time. Worked out better for both of us. He ended up shooting a 6 point. It was the only deer that he saw that day. Have no idea why people put in for that one so much. They had like 3500 applications and drew 16 names.

The only reason we put in for it is that they only draw 8 people and thought, it's along shot but figured the hunting would be good. Glad to hear it isn't Plumbrook thick, at least maybe you'll be able to see the deer. Oh well we'll see.