Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your Favorite AR15 Varmint Load?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just finished zeroing my Rock River at 100 yds this morning. 18" barrel, .223 wylde, with a vortex crossfire II 4-12x on top. I was shooting some American Eagle .223 50-grain Varminter rounds. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results, as I was able to achieve 0.5" groups at 100. This was prone, with a bipod. The only thing was the wind seemed to have a pretty significant affect on the 50-grain bullets. When the crosswind would gust to about 7-10 mph I was off to the right about an 1-1.5 inches. I'm not a veteran of the .223 so is this fairly typical? What are your favorite varmint loads? For woodchucks and/or coyotes?

Gunther

I have had good luck with the 55gr vmax but the exit wound is devastating to any fur you plan on keeping

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No wind... dead center, bullets touching. Wind... pushed off to the right.

uploadfromtaptalk1470495679955.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Took my first shot at a whistlepig a little while ago. Had a good opportunity, just misjudged the yardage. I estimated 200, aimed a touch high, and when I fired the groundhog jumped. I stepped it off and it was more like 250. Must've hit a bit low.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Took my first shot at a whistlepig a little while ago. Had a good opportunity, just misjudged the yardage. I estimated 200, aimed a touch high, and when I fired the groundhog jumped. I stepped it off and it was more like 250. Must've hit a bit low.

Invest in a range finder, unless you already have one then remember to bring it lol...