Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Foster Parent Now

The three of you look quite content. Hopefully that young fella becomes a permanent part of your family. My sister and BIL have been involved twice with foster children. In the end in both instances they adopted the child, both boys. The first one is now an adult leading a very good life residing and working near New Castle PA. The second one is only 12 years old and they have had him since he was five. He is a well behaved young man and is doing fine.

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice Jeff.

Our family just inherited a 15 year troubled boy from Texas a few weeks ago. Working with a team of Doctors and the courts seeking some form of custody. His problem mother won't sign him over because she wants to maintain control mechanisms. Problem being we can't sign him up for school in Ohio until this occurs.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Thanks Everyone!! Will it's official, Joshua or "The J Man" as I call him will be moving in this Friday. He is a good little guy with unbelievable manners for his age. Say's Thank You, Your Welcome, puts his plate and cup in the sink, always wants to brush his teeth after each meal or snack, lol. Loves taking a bath. He always says he loves us and wants to live with us, little guy got his wish, just hope its not short term. He wants me TOO take him fishing all the time when I am home and wants to hunt.

Keep ya posted.

Last edited:

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Little guy wants to play ball as well. I am so proud of my daughter but I think this is going TOO be a fun road TOO travel with him. My daughter and I had great times but she was not into the hunting, fishing and outdoor things so maybe before the good Lord pulls my ticket I can pass on some good things TOO a little guy that never had a father figure, was handed from home TOO home and honestly looks up TOO me. I can pass along what I learned from my Grandfather and with CJD having some young men now this will be a fun ride.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What an awesome thing you and Laura are doing Jeff.

And I don't want to be a negative nelly but I've seen it enough to think it warrants a mention. CPS favors the parent, if you can't get the parent to sign over rights it's never a sure thing. Even then the kid will still favor their parent if that patent ever tried to be a part of their life again. I can tell you two will pour your heart and soul into this little man. But always keep it in the back of your mind that CPS can give him back to his parents at any time. I've seen very troubled kids placed in a loving foster home where they changed their behavior, taught them manners, did better in school, and became good kids only to be given back to their trash family and within weeks they're right back to their old personalities and behaviors and all that work you put in is gone in the blink of an eye.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
What an awesome thing you and Laura are doing Jeff.

And I don't want to be a negative nelly but I've seen it enough to think it warrants a mention. CPS favors the parent, if you can't get the parent to sign over rights it's never a sure thing. Even then the kid will still favor their parent if that patent ever tried to be a part of their life again. I can tell you two will pour your heart and soul into this little man. But always keep it in the back of your mind that CPS can give him back to his parents at any time. I've seen very troubled kids placed in a loving foster home where they changed their behavior, taught them manners, did better in school, and became good kids only to be given back to their trash family and within weeks they're right back to their old personalities and behaviors and all that work you put in is gone in the blink of an eye.

Thanks for the insight Joe. We have been told that the family is a mess and will never get custody of him but time will tell. All we can do is make the best of the time we have with him and hope he will be with us until we can adopt him. CPS favors us and is giving us legal custody as best as I can understand it. I do know the attorney did not like my phone call when I was home and called her as well as CPS and told them my wife and I have been calling for weeks with out a return call to find out what is going on. I may have not have stated it properly but I said we feel like we are "Gloried Baby Sisters" driving one hour round trip, buying food, clothes, a bike, taking him places he has never seen or done and not asking for any thing but feel we should know. My wife yesterday meet with the attorney and case worker and the attorney said that she did not appreciate my call. Hey I was calling a spade a spade and all we wanted was TOO know what was going on. The attorney looked at my wife and said here is what I think of your husband and flipped her off. What ever.......... I am over it and we have the little guy. Maybe he will be the next Joe and Jesse running a TOO outing, lol. I just need TOO keep my cool. Cool minds prevail.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
IMG_20160430_192303627.jpg

Bad shot, my face looks fat, lol.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Well this evening is the big event. Laura picks Joshua up to come live with us hopefully for good, only time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support and thanks Joe for your insight. I think the little guy will not want TOO go back based on what he has told us but again his is just turning 4 this month.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
LOl, it's all good J. I will use his room if you know what I mean. Actually he likes to watch cartoons in our room until he falls asleep then Laura takes him to his room where he sleeps until like 7:30 in the morning. Then he comes back into our room.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Goodness I can't believe I missed this. .... It is a great thing you are doing that's for sure. No matter how long you are called to impact this young mans life, enjoy every minute of it

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Thank You Milo and Boarhead. Laura is at home planning his Birthday Party that is in 2 weeks. She and the "J Man" went around passing out the invitations this evening. :smiley_bike: