Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Home Remedies & Repairs

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
My dog has been doing that for a few years, never seen that on mine.
Yeah I am not sure that was just what the HVAC guy told me. Mine looked just like that. When I took a soft brush to it to clean it it just started falling apart crumbling. Next time the HVAC guy was there I asked him about it and he said it was from dogs peeing on it. I had a male dog at the time and the neighbors had one as well. I knew the dogs used to have marking wars right there so it made sense to me. Of course me not knowing jack shit about HVAC he could have been blowing smoke and I wouldn't know it. Good thing is that was 8-10 years ago and the AC is still working even with it looking like that.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Interesting indeed! I did have a male dog, Shorty was his name. I believe he did squirt on the AC before his passing. Kind of makes sense when looking at the area. I don't think I have done it, lol. I will wait to hear what Hoyt has to add as well.

Thanks guys.

Oh, and it does seem to be working Ok.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Yes you are 100% right Jon. That is the acidity of the dog piss. If you wash that or spray it with water the fins will just disintegrate and all you'll be left with is copper tube. I have seen it so bad where it actually ate a hole in the copper and allowed the refrigerant to escape. This cost the home owner a new A/C.

If the thing is lasted 24 years just ride it out till you need a new one, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Although if you have a dog pissing on your condenser get him to stop. It could very well cost you a few grand down the road if you don't.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Thanks Hoyt and everyone. No worries about the dog taking a leak on it anymore, I had to put him down about a year ago.

Again, thanks!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Woke up to a freezing cold house. I started my troubleshooting at the thermostat. All seemed good. Pulled the cover off the main unit, but no codes had been thrown. Prompted it to fire up. Thermacouple glowed good and hot, flame fired, then out after a few seconds. Try again, same result. Huh, reminds me of the furnance in our last house, which is where I learned that pulling the flame sensor and cleaning it with a dollar bill is a potential remedy for not maintaining flame. So, I pulled it and rubbed it down with Washington's face and BAM! Flame.

Wanted to pass along my new HVAC troubleshooting knowledge in hopes it helps someone else!

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good ole George always there when ya need him... Ever in a pinch for a tape measure and have none... Pull good ole George out as he's 6 inches long....

Reactions: 5Cent

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Jesse, I had a similar problem recently. Only difference being, mine would fire for 3-5 minutes before going out. After 3 attempts the furnace would go into protect mode and wouldn't call for heat for 60 minutes, unless you turned the power off and then on. I took the flame sensor out and did the same thing you did. No luck. Ended up being a bad board. Glad it worked out for you. Easy fix without the service call.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dang. We definitely got lucky. It presented as an airflow issue at first, which had me pretty concerned until I pulled the panel to see the burners go out. I'd put a new filter in and it sounded like the blower was acting funny. Hopefully, that's the last of the HVAC troubleshooting for a while!